From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED... THE HARD WAY] Major problems with libpcre / UTF8
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 11:07:29
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 03:36:38PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
2
3 > I fear that I may have to do the same with the backup machine. I run
4 > the same configs on both machines. I haven't updated the backup machine
5 > for 63 days, according to the warnings. Hopefully correcting make.conf
6 > right now will save me a second reinstall.
7
8 I corrected make.conf, ran emptytree, and then updated the
9 backup/successor machine. The warnings were now 66 days since last sync.
10 The backup runs behind the main desktop, so I seem to have caught the
11 problem in time on this machine. After the update, X runs OK with
12 window titles showing every letter, and no warnings about libpcre. All
13 is good.
14
15 The backup machine will be updated once a month "whether it needs it
16 or not". Generally the same for my main desktop, but... I have Netflix
17 which requires Google-Chrome, which will beg for updates at random
18 intervals, so the main machine will have extra updates. Pale Moon is my
19 "daily driver" web browser. Google-Chrome is for Netflix only.
22 I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
23 frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
24 pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
25 those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.