From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED... THE HARD WAY] Major problems with libpcre / UTF8
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:43:24
1 I gave up on searching Google, and decided to nuke+repave. I'm sending
2 from my backup ("successor") machine. The original machine now has basic
3 install plus xorg-server plus icewm plus xterm. The titles on the xterm
4 window bars are OK, i.e. they are *NOT* missing every second letter. I
5 still have to install 74 apps from the backup copy I made of "world" and
6 configure them.
7
8 I fear that I may have to do the same with the backup machine. I run
9 the same configs on both machines. I haven't updated the backup machine
10 for 63 days, according to the warnings. Hopefully correcting make.conf
11 right now will save me a second reinstall.
14 I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
15 frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
16 pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
17 those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.