From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] date and gentoo running under vmplayer
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 04:00:35
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 you need to make sure ntp-client and ntpd (from openntpd) have been
5 started, and you have a valid time server.
6
7 Below I have included everything I hope will help you
8
9 - ------------
10 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ emerge -vp openntpd
11
12 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
13
14 Calculating dependencies... done!
15 [ebuild R ] net-misc/openntpd-3.9_p1-r1 USE="ssl (-selinux)" 150 kB
16
17 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 150 kB
18 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/ntpd
19 # /etc/conf.d/ntpd: config file for openntpd's ntpd
20
21 NTPD_HOME=/var/empty
22
23 # See ntpd(8) man page ... some popular options:
24 # -s Set the time immediately at startup
25 NTPD_OPTS=""
26 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/ntp-client
27 # /etc/conf.d/ntp-client
28
29 # Command to run to set the clock initially
30 # Most people should just leave this line alone ...
31 # however, if you know what you're doing, and you
32 # want to use ntpd to set the clock, change this to 'ntpd'
33 NTPCLIENT_CMD="ntpdate"
34
35 # Options to pass to the above command
36 # This default setting should work fine but you should
37 # change the default 'pool.ntp.org' to something closer
38 # to your machine. See http://www.pool.ntp.org/ or
39 # try running `netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org`.
40 NTPCLIENT_OPTS="-s -b -u pool.ntp.org"
41 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /etc/ntp
42 ntp.conf ntp.conf~ ntpd.conf
43 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /etc/ntpd.conf
44 # $OpenBSD: ntpd.conf,v 1.7 2004/07/20 17:38:35 henning Exp $
45 # sample ntpd configuration file, see ntpd.conf(5)
46
47 # Addresses to listen on (ntpd does not listen by default)
48 #listen on *
49 #listen on 127.0.0.1
50 #listen on ::1
51
52 # sync to a single server
53 #server ntp.example.org
54
55 # use a random selection of 8 public stratum 2 servers
56 # see http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
57 servers pool.ntp.org
58 xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /etc/ntp.conf
59 # NOTES:
60 # - you should only have to update the server line below
61 # - if you start getting lines like 'restrict' and 'fudge'
62 # and you didnt add them, AND you run dhcpcd on your
63 # network interfaces, be sure to add '-Y -N' to the
64 # dhcpcd_ethX variables in /etc/conf.d/net
65
66 # Name of the servers ntpd should sync with
67 # Please respect the access policy as stated by the responsible person.
68 #server ntp.example.tld iburst
69
70 server pool.ntp.org
71 netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org
72
73 ##
74 # A list of available servers can be found here:
75 # http://www.pool.ntp.org/
76 # http://www.pool.ntp.org/#use
77 # A good way to get servers for your machine is:
78 # netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org
79 ##
80
81 # you should not need to modify the following paths
82 driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
83
84 #server ntplocal.example.com prefer
85 #server timeserver.example.org
86
87 # Warning: Using default NTP settings will leave your NTP
88 # server accessible to all hosts on the Internet.
89
90 # If you want to deny all machines (including your own)
91 # from accessing the NTP server, uncomment:
92 #restrict default ignore
95 # To deny other machines from changing the
96 # configuration but allow localhost:
97 restrict default nomodify nopeer
98 restrict 127.0.0.1
101 # To allow machines within your network to synchronize
102 # their clocks with your server, but ensure they are
103 # not allowed to configure the server or used as peers
104 # to synchronize against, uncomment this line.
105 #
106 restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify nopeer notrap
107 xaero@Leviathan ~ $
108
109 - ---------
110 EOF
113 John J. Foster wrote:
114 | Hi all - it's been awhile
115 |
116 | This past week I've set up Gentoo running in a VM built by
117 | http://www.easyvmx.com/ under a XP host. Installation and configuration
118 | went fine. I normally leave the VM running when I walk away from the
119 | machine, but when I return, time is way off. Shutting down Gentoo & the
120 | VM & rebooting solvles the problem, as vmplayer must initially get the
121 | date and time from the host, but it sure doesn't keep it right after
122 | that. I tried openntpd, but it kept setting the time further and further
123 | off. I live in Fort Collins, Co and my locatime is set correctly
124 | (America/Denver). This is my 1st time playing with VM's. Is this common?
125 | Is there any way around it? I'm not really sure why openntpd didn't
126 | work.
127 |
128 | Any and all help appreciated.
129 |