From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Questions
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:27:38
1 Am 24.01.2013 00:27, schrieb Silvio Siefke:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:48:49 +0100
5 > Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 [...]
7 >> What kind of workload do we talk about? Properly "niced" and "ioniced"
8 >> compile jobs? Is the freeze temporary?
9 >
10 > If I run a program, depending on the size the System Freeze for
11 > few seconds. When i start emerge -s, emerge --sync, emerge what ever the
12 > system freeze. Its ever temporary but its make crazy.
15 Hmm, the last time I encountered something like this, DMA was
16 deactivated for the hard disk. That happened because the wrong driver
17 (generic IDE) took over. What raw throughput do you get?
18 `dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=4M count=100 iflag=direct`
21 >> Odd. Maybe GPU related? Again, does the system recover?
22 >
23 > No GPU is deactivated. When have more then 10 tabs, system hang.
26 You mean you have not enabled drm and/or use the generic vesa driver?
27 Maybe something is trying to use opengl and software emulation slows you
28 down.
29
30 >> Doesn't surprise me. P4 and Atom are both horrible micro architectures.
31 >> But Atom is also horribly stripped down and has a lower clock frequency.
32 >
33 > Oh, okay i know Atom is shit, but P4. Which architecture is recommended
34 > for?
37 P4s suffer because their pipeline is very long and poorly utilized. In
38 fact, they can execute fewer instructions per clock tick than a P3.
39 Anything newer is a vast improvement, especially Core2 and newer.
40
41 Regards,
42 Florian Philipp