From: Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 23:27:04
1 Hello,
2
3 On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:48:49 +0100
4 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > In menuconfig, when you open the help on an item, there is a line
7 > "Depends on". If the requirement is not met, the option is not visible
8 > but can be found by searching (press /).
9 >
10 > There might also be a line "Selects" which contains automatically
11 > activated dependencies and "Selected by" which contains the reverse
12 > dependencies.
13
14 Yes this option i know. I thought it is an option that can automatically
15 filter.
16
17 > Don't think so. If there is a regression, it should get fixed in the
18 > main line kernel.
19
20 Ok.
21
22 > What kind of workload do we talk about? Properly "niced" and "ioniced"
23 > compile jobs? Is the freeze temporary?
24
25 If I run a program, depending on the size the System Freeze for
26 few seconds. When i start emerge -s, emerge --sync, emerge what ever the
27 system freeze. Its ever temporary but its make crazy.
30 > Odd. Maybe GPU related? Again, does the system recover?
31
32 No GPU is deactivated. When have more then 10 tabs, system hang.
33
34 > Doesn't surprise me. P4 and Atom are both horrible micro architectures.
35 > But Atom is also horribly stripped down and has a lower clock frequency.
36
37 Oh, okay i know Atom is shit, but P4. Which architecture is recommended
38 for?
41 Thank you & Regards
42 Silvio