From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:49:10
1 Am 22.01.2013 19:43, schrieb Bruce Hill:
2 > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 06:53:15PM +0100, Silvio Siefke wrote:
3 >> Hello,
6 >> i want ask some questions for the Kernel.
7 >>
8 >> How do I find dependencies of each option?
9
10 In menuconfig, when you open the help on an item, there is a line
11 "Depends on". If the requirement is not met, the option is not visible
12 but can be found by searching (press /).
13
14 There might also be a line "Selects" which contains automatically
15 activated dependencies and "Selected by" which contains the reverse
16 dependencies.
17
18 >> Are there patches for older computers?
21 Don't think so. If there is a regression, it should get fixed in the
22 main line kernel.
23
24 >> I use the good old Pentium 4 on the desktop and an atom on the laptop.
25 >> But I have often the problem when the computer has much to do, that the
26 >> system freeze.
27
28 What kind of workload do we talk about? Properly "niced" and "ioniced"
29 compile jobs? Is the freeze temporary?
30
31 >> That's on the atom often so. The opera is my favorite
32 >> Browser, but often the call on a website and the result end in freeze.
33
34 Odd. Maybe GPU related? Again, does the system recover?
37 >> What is really strange, when i run emerge --sync ; emerge -avuDN @world,
38 >> the Pentium 4 is faster as the Atom. Is that normal?
41 Doesn't surprise me. P4 and Atom are both horrible micro architectures.
42 But Atom is also horribly stripped down and has a lower clock frequency.
43
44 [...]
45 >> It were nice some can share the own expirence. The Kernel is so hard to
46 >> understand, when take off a option, other option run not. I really not
47 >> know what i need and what need.
48 >
49 > Please read "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell". You can:
50 >
51 > "emerge -av app-doc/linux-kernel-in-a-nutshell"
52 >
53 > and also read it online: http://www.kroah.com/lkn/
56 +1
57