From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 13:51:59
1 On 01/02/2012 08:36 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 05:06:32 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> That's why I fixed the new way to be closer to what I am used to. I
5 >> added --oneshot to my make.conf. When I really need to add something
6 >> to world, I just use --select y -nav. To me, that is a lot of extra
7 >> steps to be "consistent".
8 >
9 > You are trying to be "consistent" with your memory of how things used
10 > to work (which is flawed, oneshot has been around a lot longer than you
11 > think). Zac is looking for self-consistency.
12 >
13 > Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where there is no overriding
14 > argument in favour of one way or the other, prejudice and inertia play
15 > more of a part than logic for most people.
16
17 Sure there is: adding a package to the world file can screw up your
18 system if it's unintentional.
19
20 *Not* adding the package to world when you do an update is *not*
21 harmful, because,
22
23 * Nobody would use --update to install a new package
24 * Depclean can show you that you made a mistake