From: Alon Keren <alon.keren@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Creating a LFS system with Portage
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:12:47
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm considering using Portage to build a Linux From Scratch system
4 (LFS basically means building a completely customized Linux machine,
5 using a toolchain).
6 The little documentation online regarding such a feat, along with my
7 little experience with Portage, means that I would have to go
8 knee-deep (in creating ebuilds) before even knowing if it is feasible,
9 so I thought I'd ask here for some insight.
10
11 I noticed that the Catalyst project deals with toolchain building, but
12 it is Gentoo-centric, and with virtually no documentation.
13 I also noticed that Portage allows defining the ROOT environment
14 variable (in '/etc/make.conf') in order "to specify the target
15 root filesystem to be used for merging packages or ebuilds". I wonder
16 if emerging this way is enough to build a runnable OS, or if there are
17 special prerequisites the host system (aside from running emerge) or
18 destination file-system must meet.
19
20 Thanks in advance,
21 Alon
22
23 PS.
24
25 Please CC me your replies as I'm not subscribed to messages from this list
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list