From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a LFS system with Portage
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:51:59
1 On Monday 18 September 2006 17:05, Alon Keren wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm considering using Portage to build a Linux From Scratch
5 > system (LFS basically means building a completely customized
6 > Linux machine, using a toolchain).
7
8 I'm not sure why you want to do this or what your line of
9 reasoning is. A stage 1 gentoo install is very similar to
10 building LFS, except that you don't have to type './configure
11 && make && sudo make install' 300 times. Well, conceptually
12 similar at least.
13
14 The whole point of LFS is to do it by hand and see how it all
15 works at an even lower level than gentoo provides. You could
16 use portage to automate the LFS build process, but then you end
17 up with essentially a clone of gentoo. I say this as someone
18 who has built an LFS as a learning exercise then moved on to
19 gentoo for pragmatic reasons.
20
21 Perhaps if you explained why you want to try this and especially
22 what you want to accomplish, then we can advise you better.
23
24 <snip>
25
26 > Please CC me your replies as I'm not subscribed to messages
27 > from this list
28
29 Nope. Asking that is exceptionally rude. I wade through 200+
30 messages per day looking for places I can assist others. The
31 least you can do is subscribe to the list like everyone else
32 (and how did you manage to post without a subscription?), and
33 download the same looking for replies to your question.
34 Besides, the answers you get might help someone else.
35
36 alan
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list