From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 19:16:13
1 On 12/17/2016 09:44 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/12/2016 16:35, Heiko Baums wrote:
3 >> Am 17.12.2016 um 14:17 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
4 >>
5 >>> I'm running the Debian 7 version of Raspbian on a number of Pis, all
6 >>> without systemd. Yes, I am happy using systemd, but I can't be arsed
7 >>> changing them when they continue to work perfectly well.
8 >> Then explain me how this is done. Btw., Debian's and Raspbian's software
9 >> repositories are somewhat outdated. But that's a different Debian
10 >> related subject.
11 > It's not Neil's job to solve your problems. It's your job.
12 >
13 > Neil isn't offering a solution to you, he's trying to guide your
14 > thoughts in a direction where you can see solutions, so please stop
15 > asking him (or anyone else) to find them for you.
16 >
17 > Nobody ever guaranteed that you would have, or not have, systemd. It is
18 > simply there and it is what it is. Software comes and goes, but you
19 > always have the original promise - there is nothing in this world
20 > stopping you from building software the way you want it. That's what
21 > Stallman did - he didn't like the current landscape so did something
22 > about it. You have that same right.
23 >
24 > You have the right to use the code anyway you see fit. Red Hat has the
25 > same right, and they are only answerable to their users. Nowhere does it
26 > say Red Hat has to listen to you and write code for your benefit; also
27 > nowhere does it say that Red Hat is permitted to stop you doing whatever
28 > you want.
29 >
30 > So now you know what your job is, get cracking.
31 >
32 > Started coding yet?
35 Slight change of topic .... Or is it back to the original topic?
36
37 FYI :
38 Using Palemoon compiled from the overlay,
39 a XonarDX sound card ( 192Khz Record/Playback, 7.1 sound capable, 8
40 channels ),
41 ALSA without either PulseAudio or apulse,
42 JACK not being used,
43 No .asoundrc being used,
44 I am able to watch videos and HEAR them in Palemoon.
45 Audio with Adobe Flash works as well.
46 ( the caveat : mplayer is compiled / mplayer.conf adjusted / nsplugin
47 installed )
50 The trick .... seems to be reading the docs for ALSA in the bundled
51 kernel source code docs.
52
53 1 : Make corrections to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf"
54 2 : list ALL modules for ALSA/OSS in "/etc/conf.d/modules" for loading.
55 3 : If using "media-sound/timidity++" do the same for its modules.
56
57 I hope this information helps for those who want alternatives.