From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeon screen resolution
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 02:04:03
1 john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:41:57 +0000
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Monday 28 Dec 2015 09:11:10 john wrote:
7 > > > Hello,
8 > > >
9 > > > I have installed Gentoo on to another partition in order to use
10 > > > radeon drivers for desktop instead of fglrx.
11 > > >
12 > > > When I start my resolution is very small (1280x600) and only uses
13 > > > half the screen. My max resolution is 1920*1080 so I have a big
14 > > > black border around my screen. I can startx which works but cannot
15 > > > change the resolution to anything bigger. GRUB splash uses full
16 > > > screen but when the kernel loads it switches to small resolution.
17 > > >
18 > > > The only thing I can think of which is causing this issue is UEFI.
19 > > > In my other set (fglrx) up I have simple framebuffer enabled which
20 > > > works when I set up resolution in grub default.
21 > > >
22 > > > Strangely enough when I start system rescue cd in UEFI mode I get
23 > > > the same problem with small resolution but not if I do not boot in
24 > > > UEFI mode.
25 > >
26 > > Hmm ... I don't get such problems here on 3 PCs running different
27 > > amd/radeon cards and all with radeon drivers.
28 > >
29 > > You haven't said which card you're running. If it is a very recent
30 > > model the radeon drivers may not have caught up with it yet?
31 > >
32 > > If you need to compare kernel settings let me know, although there
33 > > are wiki pages that are quite detailed on this topic.
36 > > > Anyone come across this or got this to work properly with
37 > > > radeon/UEFI?
38 > > >
39 > > > Moral, don't use UEFI I guess but that's the future???????!!!!!!
40 > > >
41 > > > John
42 > >
43 > > On PC boots in UEFI (directly boots the efi binary, no boot
44 > > managers) and it has no such problems on 2 x 1920*1080 monitors.
47 > Hmm,
48 > thanks, I have now tried an old monitor and its screen
49 > resolution was good (ie 1920x1080) so I think it's the monitor.
50 > I have a R9 280 radeon card which is pretty new but the monitor is
51 > very new (display port only, acer xb240h model) so I guess it's
52 > something do do with that, perhaps EDID but not really sure. The
53 > whole graphics stack is pretty bemusing and I would love to make
54 > sense of it all.
55
56 Several months ago I was thinking about buying a LG monitor with
57 Cinema4k (4096x2160) resolution. The monitor that I received had some
58 firmware bugs. One bug was that the monitor shows a broken (somewhat
59 incomplete) EDID block. So it was not possible to use the full
60 resolution with the radeon driver but only UHD resolution (3840x2160).
61
62 I read somewhere that this monitor maybe would run fine with the fglrx
63 driver. But because I don't like proprietary software and because the
64 monitor also had some other bugs and IMHO also a poor picture quality,
65 I decided to sent it back.
66
67 There is a kernel option DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE. It allows you to
68 specify an EDID data set instead of probing for it. If your problem
69 is caused by broken EDID data, this option maybe will help you to run
70 the monitor at its full resolution.
73 Regards
74 wabe