From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeon screen resolution
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 21:06:09
1 On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:41:57 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 28 Dec 2015 09:11:10 john wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I have installed Gentoo on to another partition in order to use
8 > > radeon drivers for desktop instead of fglrx.
9 > >
10 > > When I start my resolution is very small (1280x600) and only uses
11 > > half the screen. My max resolution is 1920*1080 so I have a big
12 > > black border around my screen. I can startx which works but cannot
13 > > change the resolution to anything bigger. GRUB splash uses full
14 > > screen but when the kernel loads it switches to small resolution.
15 > >
16 > > The only thing I can think of which is causing this issue is UEFI.
17 > > In my other set (fglrx) up I have simple framebuffer enabled which
18 > > works when I set up resolution in grub default.
19 > >
20 > > Strangely enough when I start system rescue cd in UEFI mode I get
21 > > the same problem with small resolution but not if I do not boot in
22 > > UEFI mode.
23 >
24 > Hmm ... I don't get such problems here on 3 PCs running different
25 > amd/radeon cards and all with radeon drivers.
26 >
27 > You haven't said which card you're running. If it is a very recent
28 > model the radeon drivers may not have caught up with it yet?
29 >
30 > If you need to compare kernel settings let me know, although there
31 > are wiki pages that are quite detailed on this topic.
34 > > Anyone come across this or got this to work properly with
35 > > radeon/UEFI?
36 > >
37 > > Moral, don't use UEFI I guess but that's the future???????!!!!!!
38 > >
39 > > John
40 >
41 > On PC boots in UEFI (directly boots the efi binary, no boot managers)
42 > and it has no such problems on 2 x 1920*1080 monitors.
45 Hmm,
46 thanks, I have now tried an old monitor and its screen
47 resolution was good (ie 1920x1080) so I think it's the monitor.
48 I have a R9 280 radeon card which is pretty new but the monitor is very
49 new (display port only, acer xb240h model) so I guess it's something do
50 do with that, perhaps EDID but not really sure. The whole graphics
51 stack is pretty bemusing and I would love to make sense of it all.
52
53 It's good to know you got it running on other monitors which gave me
54 the idea to try it on an older monitor. I will continue to tweak but....
55
56 Thanks
57
58 John