From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeon screen resolution
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:42:27
1 On Monday 28 Dec 2015 09:11:10 john wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have installed Gentoo on to another partition in order to use radeon
5 > drivers for desktop instead of fglrx.
6 >
7 > When I start my resolution is very small (1280x600) and only uses half
8 > the screen. My max resolution is 1920*1080 so I have a big black border
9 > around my screen. I can startx which works but cannot change the
10 > resolution to anything bigger. GRUB splash uses full screen but when the
11 > kernel loads it switches to small resolution.
12 >
13 > The only thing I can think of which is causing this issue is UEFI. In
14 > my other set (fglrx) up I have simple framebuffer enabled which works
15 > when I set up resolution in grub default.
16 >
17 > Strangely enough when I start system rescue cd in UEFI mode I get the
18 > same problem with small resolution but not if I do not boot in UEFI
19 > mode.
20
21 Hmm ... I don't get such problems here on 3 PCs running different amd/radeon
22 cards and all with radeon drivers.
23
24 You haven't said which card you're running. If it is a very recent model the
25 radeon drivers may not have caught up with it yet?
26
27 If you need to compare kernel settings let me know, although there are wiki
28 pages that are quite detailed on this topic.
31 > Anyone come across this or got this to work properly with radeon/UEFI?
32 >
33 > Moral, don't use UEFI I guess but that's the future???????!!!!!!
34 >
35 > John
36
37 On PC boots in UEFI (directly boots the efi binary, no boot managers) and it
38 has no such problems on 2 x 1920*1080 monitors.
41 Regards,
42 Mick