From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MagicJack on Gentoo? (preferably PPC)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:54:09
1 On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> MJ does offer some form or enhanced
6 >>> 911 service (U.S. emergency number as possibly you're in the U.K.
7 >>> based on the link you provided) if I sign up for it which is a concern
8 >>> if we were to completely drop our land line.
9 >>
10 >> I believe E911 is legally required for any VoIP provider in the United States.
13 > Their web site has some info about this. I figure what I actually get
14 > is what I actually get and probably not worth worrying about right
15 > now.
16 >
17 > http://www.magicjack.com/4/faq/
20 >> I use Callcentric (with a Linksys SPA2102 obtained from ebay for
21 >> $20ish) and the $1.50 E911 fee makes up nearly half of my phone
22 >> bill... :)
25 > OK, so the CalccCentric plans look a lot like MagicJack, but you can
26 > use it directly with your router? I like that as of course the routers
27 > are on all the time and wouldn't be subject to long Gentoo emerge /
28 > reboot updates on my MythTV server.
29
30 The service of most VoIP providers is not tied to any device. (I don't
31 know about MagicJack's dongle, but I know Vonage is locked to their
32 device and you can't use your own, and some let you use your own but
33 then are locked to that and you have to call them to change it.) You
34 can basically use any SIP-compatible device and go. You can set it up
35 on your PC with a full-fledged PBX like Asterisk, or simply use a
36 soft-phone (there are a few in portage), use a SIP client on your
37 mobile phone (take your home phone number with you, making/receiving
38 calls over wifi or 3G). or with dedicated hardware wired to your home
39 phone lines (as I've done), or whatever. Depending in the
40 provider/plan you get you can use multiple lines, like in a business,
41 so for example if your wife is on the phone you can make another call
42 -- from the same phone number.
43
44 You can create a free Callcentric account and completely set it up to
45 see how it works for you before paying anything or porting your phone
46 number etc. They have documentation on how to configure it on many
47 different devices and software and they have test numbers you can call
48 to give it a try. If nothing else you could do it just to see how the
49 set up might go with MagicJack before you commit to porting your phone
50 number to them, since it's probably the same process with a few
51 different settings filled in.
52
53 > Is you SPA2102 your main router for your house or is it behind a more
54 > general router with wireless capabilities? I need wireless around the
55 > house so I guess I'd have to find the right device if it's too
56 > difficult to open port ranges for VoIP. I suspect it isn't too
57 > difficult?
58
59 The SPA2102 is just the VoIP box for me, that's its only purpose in my
60 set-up. It has an ethernet port i hooked up to the internet, a couple
61 phone jacks that you can plug your phone lines into, configure the
62 settings and never touch it again. I just have it sitting behind my
63 normal wireless router. They have screenshots of what the setup
64 process is like here:
65 http://www.callcentric.com/support/device/linksys/spa3102 (even though
66 that's for the 3102, the screens are identical to the 2102). I
67 upgraded the firmware to the latest available before setting it up, I
68 believe the original firmware version didn't have all the codecs or
69 options.
70
71 I could protect its traffic on my router (DD-WRT) too but haven't felt
72 like figuring that out yet. My internet is not maxed out that often (I
73 have 20mbit so most downloads only take seconds, and, if not, then
74 they aren't using all of my bandwidth anyway) and VoIP only uses a
75 very tiny amount of data.
76
77 If you want to jump through some hoops and are open to getting a new
78 phone number, there are ways to place and receive VoIP calls
79 completely for free, too. If you google it you'll find thousands of
80 results. :)