From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MagicJack on Gentoo? (preferably PPC)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:45:20
1 On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > MJ does offer some form or enhanced
5 >> 911 service (U.S. emergency number as possibly you're in the U.K.
6 >> based on the link you provided) if I sign up for it which is a concern
7 >> if we were to completely drop our land line.
8 >
9 > I believe E911 is legally required for any VoIP provider in the United States.
12 Their web site has some info about this. I figure what I actually get
13 is what I actually get and probably not worth worrying about right
14 now.
15
16 http://www.magicjack.com/4/faq/
19 > I use Callcentric (with a Linksys SPA2102 obtained from ebay for
20 > $20ish) and the $1.50 E911 fee makes up nearly half of my phone
21 > bill... :)
24 OK, so the CalccCentric plans look a lot like MagicJack, but you can
25 use it directly with your router? I like that as of course the routers
26 are on all the time and wouldn't be subject to long Gentoo emerge /
27 reboot updates on my MythTV server.
28
29 Is you SPA2102 your main router for your house or is it behind a more
30 general router with wireless capabilities? I need wireless around the
31 house so I guess I'd have to find the right device if it's too
32 difficult to open port ranges for VoIP. I suspect it isn't too
33 difficult?
34
35 Thanks,
36 Mark