From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:19:53
1 Albert Hopkins schrieb:
2 > [snip]
3 > But they are wrong ;-)
4 >
5 > I'm actually against mixing testing and stable branches. Here's why.
6 > People choose "stable" because they are under the impression that it's
7 > somehow "safer" or "less troublesome" than "testing" (or what some
8 > people call "unstable"). I'm not so sure I agree but that's not my
9 > argument. My argument is when these people go and then try to get the
10 > "best of both worlds" by inter-marrying the branches. From my
11 > experience these people end up with less stable systems than choosing
12 > either "stable" or "testing". The problem is that they are mixing
13 > software that were not tested or intended to run with each other. And
14 > they come into problems even people in the so-called "unstable" branch
15 > don't experience. Recent examples include Xorg and GNOME updates. So
16 > these people, and the majority of them are newbies, come to think Gentoo
17 > is flaky but it's really their behavior.
18 >
19 > [snip]
20
21 Hi,
22
23 this for shure is not right, if you are only running few testing
24 programs. I'd never run ~amd64 just for youtube-dl to be working fine.
25
26 kh