From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:36:38
1 Here's my take on this issue, and I've had this discussion with some
2 people on IRC as well and for the most part I think people will disagree
3 with me.
4
5 But they are wrong ;-)
6
7 I'm actually against mixing testing and stable branches. Here's why.
8 People choose "stable" because they are under the impression that it's
9 somehow "safer" or "less troublesome" than "testing" (or what some
10 people call "unstable"). I'm not so sure I agree but that's not my
11 argument. My argument is when these people go and then try to get the
12 "best of both worlds" by inter-marrying the branches. From my
13 experience these people end up with less stable systems than choosing
14 either "stable" or "testing". The problem is that they are mixing
15 software that were not tested or intended to run with each other. And
16 they come into problems even people in the so-called "unstable" branch
17 don't experience. Recent examples include Xorg and GNOME updates. So
18 these people, and the majority of them are newbies, come to think Gentoo
19 is flaky but it's really their behavior.
20
21 Unfortunately the Official Handbook tends to encourage this behavior.
22 In theory this should be fine, but in practice it seems to produce
23 less-stable-than-unstable software setups, so I try to discourage people
24 from doing so. Then they laugh at me.
25
26 But I've been in unstable forever. I never use the stable branch
27 (except for testing ironically) and I remember the days when there was
28 no distinction between stable/testing. Few times I've had problems with
29 an update and the solution is always simple: downgrade the package in
30 question. When I had problems with the cups upgrade, I simply reported
31 a bug and downgraded cups. When I had a problem with findutils, I
32 simply CC'ed myself on the bug and keyworded findutils to stable. To me
33 that's been a lot easier than trying to figure out how to get stable
34 package A and unstable package B to agree on
35 inter-operability/configuration/dependencies/etc.
36
37 So my advice is: pick and branch and stick with your own kind. It's far
38 fewer headaches in the long run. And "unstable" isn't really unstable,
39 it's "untested". There's a difference.