From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Stable users: libpng-1.4
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:41:07
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2010-07-05, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
7 >>> The point is that if you always start with a text login, it's easy to
8 >>> log in and fix whatever keeps X/KDE from working. That's why I gave
9 >>> up on graphical logins about 15 years ago.
10 >>>
11 >> The reason it wouldn't load is that a LOT of packages, including KDE,
12 >> needed to be recompiled after the libpng upgrade. I already knew that.
13 >> Text or GUI login would not matter. Recompiling the packages was fixing
14 >> the problem already so having a text login wouldn't help on that either.
15 >>
16 >> When I run into a problem with the GUi loading, I just do a ctrl alt F1,
17 >> log in and fix it. That is my text login trick.
18 >>
19 > As long as ctrl-alt-F1 works, that's cool. It hasn't happened to me
20 > for a while, but it didn't used to be at all difficult to get X broken
21 > enough that ctrl-alt-F1 wouldn't work.
24 In that off chance, use the SysRq keys to get it back. If that doesn't
25 work, you got to reboot anyway.
28 >> I can also check the X
29 >> logs that way too. It seems to me that the way you are doing is the
30 >> hard way. I just type in my password to log in and it appears you have
31 >> to log in on a console, type a command then let it load.
32 >>
33 > I type my username, my passowrd and then I type x and hit enter.
36 Yea, more stuff to type in for the off change the GUI doesn't work.
37 That's a lot of typing for a rare failure. So far, the only time I
38 could not switch back to a console was when trying to use hal with xorg.
41 >> I'll keep my way. I like it easy when possible then do it the hard
42 >> way if I run into a problem that requires it.
43 >>
44 > No worries.
48 Dale
49