From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Stable users: libpng-1.4
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 05:35:34
1 On 2010-07-05, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3
4 >> The point is that if you always start with a text login, it's easy to
5 >> log in and fix whatever keeps X/KDE from working. That's why I gave
6 >> up on graphical logins about 15 years ago.
7 >
8 > The reason it wouldn't load is that a LOT of packages, including KDE,
9 > needed to be recompiled after the libpng upgrade. I already knew that.
10 > Text or GUI login would not matter. Recompiling the packages was fixing
11 > the problem already so having a text login wouldn't help on that either.
12 >
13 > When I run into a problem with the GUi loading, I just do a ctrl alt F1,
14 > log in and fix it. That is my text login trick.
15
16 As long as ctrl-alt-F1 works, that's cool. It hasn't happened to me
17 for a while, but it didn't used to be at all difficult to get X broken
18 enough that ctrl-alt-F1 wouldn't work.
19
20 > I can also check the X
21 > logs that way too. It seems to me that the way you are doing is the
22 > hard way. I just type in my password to log in and it appears you have
23 > to log in on a console, type a command then let it load.
24
25 I type my username, my passowrd and then I type x and hit enter.
26
27 > I'll keep my way. I like it easy when possible then do it the hard
28 > way if I run into a problem that requires it.
29
30 No worries.
33 Grant