From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Stable users: libpng-1.4
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:05:29
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2010-07-04, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> 100704 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> My KDE wouldn't start either. Actually, kdm wouldn't start.
10 >>>> Sort of have to have one to get to the other.
11 >>>> I didn't like the idea of not having my GUI either.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>> That's why I stopped using a GUI login many years ago (smile).
15 >>> I login to a raw terminal, then 'startx': avoids lots of troubles.
16 >>>
17 >> Wouldn't help if KDE wouldn't load tho.
18 >>
19 > The point is that if you always start with a text login, it's easy to
20 > log in and fix whatever keeps X/KDE from working. That's why I gave
21 > up on graphical logins about 15 years ago.
25 The reason it wouldn't load is that a LOT of packages, including KDE,
26 needed to be recompiled after the libpng upgrade. I already knew that.
27 Text or GUI login would not matter. Recompiling the packages was fixing
28 the problem already so having a text login wouldn't help on that either.
29
30 When I run into a problem with the GUi loading, I just do a ctrl alt F1,
31 log in and fix it. That is my text login trick. I can also check the X
32 logs that way too. It seems to me that the way you are doing is the
33 hard way. I just type in my password to log in and it appears you have
34 to log in on a console, type a command then let it load. I'll keep my
35 way. I like it easy when possible then do it the hard way if I run into
36 a problem that requires it.
37
38 Dale
39