From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim (was: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:12:48
1 On 09/29/2013 07:58 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > things were broken way before that. As much as I hate systemd, it is not
4 > the root cause of the problem.
5 >
6 > The problems were caused by people saying that seperate /usr was a good
7 > idea, so / would not fill up and similar idiocies. The problems were
8 > caused by people saying that lvm is a good idea - for desktops. Those
9 > people who are fighting against the kernel auto assembling raids are to
10 > blame too.
11 >
12 > Systemd is just another point in a very long list.
13 >
14 The usr filesystem was separate from root from the very early days of
15 UNIX. Disks were *tiny* (compared to today) and spreading certain
16 things across separate spindles provided major benefits. Certainly, the
17 original need to require a separate usr went away fairly quickly, but
18 other benefits continued to encourage a seperation between root and usr.
19
20 The var filesystem was for variable system data, and was never terribly
21 big and its inclusion on the root volume happened. The home filesystem
22 became traditionally separate because data expands to fill all
23 availab;e space, and users collect *things*
24
25 Networking made it possible to have home entirely off system, and
26 diskless worstations ruled for a while as well.
27
28 By the time Linux came along, it had become common for boot volumes to
29 not be mounted during normal system operation, but the three filesystem
30 layout was common and workable. As Linux continued to be like Topsy
31 (she jest growed!) fragmentation started to occur as "distributions"
32 arose. The "balkanization" of Linux distributions became a real concern
33 to some and standardization offorts were encouraged.
34
35 The "File System Standard" (FSS) was renamed to the Filesystem Hierarch
36 Standard (FHS) and it was strongly based on the UNIX System V
37 definitions (which called for seperation of usr and root.) POSIX added
38 more layers and attempted to bring in the various BSD flavors.
39
40 THe LSB (Linux Standards Base) effort was conceived as supersceeding all
41 the other efforts, and FHS was folded into the LSB definition. Yet even
42 then a separate root and usr distinction survived. Then things started
43 falling apart again - POSIX rose like a phoenix and even the
44 Windows/wintel environment could claim POSIX compliant behavior. The
45 fall of the LSB effort really became evident when the FHS was gutted and
46 certain major players decided to ignore the LSB recommendations.
47
48 (Look out, there are some severely mixed metaphors coming and perhaps
49 even some "allegory" Bear with it and you should get the gist of my
50 accusations.)
51
52 And now we are here. There is no clear definition of what comprises
53 this OS that is a Linux kernel and a largely GNU based user-land. There
54 are two major X-Windows based "Desktop Environments" and many less major
55 DEs and Linux is seen as being "locked in a struggle" with the Microsoft
56 OSs to "win the hearts and minds of the Users."
57
58 This is quite scary to many folks who depend on the success of Linux
59 "winning" the so-called war. One of the camps bent on wining the "war"
60 is GNOME. Despite much history and experience that shows that choice
61 and freedom are NOT disadvantages, the mainline GNOME folks have charged
62 ahead on their own in a direction that overrides user choice and seems
63 bound and determined to "outdo" Microsoft at their own game.
64
65 As a result, the GNOME Alliance has shattered. The main GNOME army
66 marches on its unfathomable path, and various large chunks have broke
67 off in their own directions (e.g. Cinnamon and Mate) seeking to remain
68 flexible and not incompatible with the KDE and other lesser DE folks.
69
70 It is truly layable at the feet of the GNOME folks, the breakage of the
71 root and usr filesystem separability is all derived from the GNOME camp.
72 These changes may not, in fact, be deliberate or intended to "defeat"
73 Microsoft, but Ockham's Razor cuts and intentionality is the simpler
74 explanation.
77 I am NOT happy with the situation as it stands. Efforts that I have
78 made on behalf of the FOSS and Linux/GNU are no longer serving to
79 benefit me and the others with whom I thought I shared aspirations.
80
81 I am an OS Agnostic/Atheist. I use what works to do what I need to do.
82 My at-home network includes all four (or is that 3.5?) "consumer" OSes.
83 I have spent quite a bit of effort to have them all work together, but
84 forces seem to be in play that seem determined to "win at all costs" and
85 enforce a computing monoculture. Such a result is not a good thing. As
86 with biological systems, monocultures are more vulnerable to
87 interference and disease. The evolution of differentiated organ systems
88 in more complex (or "higher") forms of life is driven by the need to
89 provide robustness and continued operation in the face of unknown
90 challenges.
91
92 To come back to the thesis: robustness and flexibility are required for
93 good "health" and we are witnessing a dangerous challenge.
96 [PS} If anybody cares, I was trained in both Computer Science and
97 Biological Science. and I can expand on the parallels if so desired.
100 G.Wolfe Woodbury
101 redwolfe@×××××.com