From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:12:14
1 On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:30:28 -0600
2 kashani wrote:
3
4 > Nick Rout wrote:
5 > > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
6 > > handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1
7 > > handbook stuck to stage 3. (Talking x86 here, I have never done an
8 > > instal on other architectures).
9 > >
10 > > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
11 > >
12 > > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a
13 > > stage1 or stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
14 > >
15 > > WTF? When did this happen?
18 > About a week or two ago and was heavily discussed on gentoo-doc IIRC.
19 > Here's a rough summary.
20 >
21 > stage1 is the cause of a number of circular dependency issues, it takes
22 > forever, the engineering and release team spends too much time on it,
23 > and the average Gentoo users get no benefit from doing a stage1 over a
24 > stage3. In order to get any benefit from stage1 you must edit the boot
25 > strap scripts in some way. Editting the boot strap scripts is not
26 > documented and not something general users should be mucking around in
27 > so we're going to drop everything, but stage3 on the CD.
28 >
29 > Or at least that was my interpretation. I stopped paying attention
30 > around this point, but there was talk of keeping a stage1 for devs or
31 > people who need it... though I don't think exactly what or where was
32 > ever fully hashed out.
33 >
34 > kashani
35
36 Thanks for the info.
37
38 I have only used stage 1 once, and it was for an i586 machine (FYI an
39 epia eden (http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Eden_C3.2FEzra_.28Via_EPIA.29)
40
41 This is because there weren't stage 3's available for i586, so I had to
42 compile the lot from stage 1 (at least as i read the instructions at
43 that point).
44
45 Frankly I think that a stage 3 is ok 99% of the time, I am just
46 surprised to see gentoo limiting choices, even for the other 1%.
47 I am also surprised that it wasn't given wider publicity in the lead up
48 to the change - this sort of thing should be referred to this list IMHO. This list is high enough volume without having to sub to gentoo-doc as
49 well to pick up important changes.
50
51 > --
52 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list