From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:42:26
1 Nick Rout wrote:
2 > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
3 > handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1
4 > handbook stuck to stage 3. (Talking x86 here, I have never done an
5 > instal on other architectures).
6 >
7 > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
8 >
9 > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a
10 > stage1 or stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
11 >
12 > WTF? When did this happen?
15 About a week or two ago and was heavily discussed on gentoo-doc IIRC.
16 Here's a rough summary.
17
18 stage1 is the cause of a number of circular dependency issues, it takes
19 forever, the engineering and release team spends too much time on it,
20 and the average Gentoo users get no benefit from doing a stage1 over a
21 stage3. In order to get any benefit from stage1 you must edit the boot
22 strap scripts in some way. Editting the boot strap scripts is not
23 documented and not something general users should be mucking around in
24 so we're going to drop everything, but stage3 on the CD.
25
26 Or at least that was my interpretation. I stopped paying attention
27 around this point, but there was talk of keeping a stage1 for devs or
28 people who need it... though I don't think exactly what or where was
29 ever fully hashed out.
30
31 kashani
32 --