From: Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EVMS (was: Resize /)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:28:34
1 Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2006 12:38 schrieb ext Alexander Skwar:
2
3 > With EVMS, can I make it so, that the "things" where I put filesystems
4 > on (logical volumes in LVM, partitions in old style partitioning) are
5 > NOT consecutive? Because that's the great feature of LVM.
6 >
7 > Example:
8 >
9 > - place1
10 > - place2
11 >
12 > place1 and place2 are directly "beneath" each other (in old style
13 > partition speak: end cylinder of place1 is just 1 before the start
14 > cylinder of place2). Now place1 needs to be made bigger.
15 >
16 > What to do?
17
18 Depends on what place[12] are? In case of partitions, EVMS can't help you
19 with that (at least not directly). You could create "place3" somewhere else
20 (may even be a loopback device), and use EVMS's drive-linking feature to
21 add the new space to "place1".
22
23 > > With EVMS:
24 > > emerge evms
25 > > run evmsn or evmsgui
26 > > create the partitions (segments), using the DOS segment manager.
27 > > create a volume group (container), using the LVM2 plugin (here you see
28 > > that to some extend, EVMS is just an umbrella for everything storage
29 > > related). create logical volumes (regions), again using the LVM2
30 > > plugin.
31 >
32 > Ah. So EVMS makes use of LVM and is just some sort of GUI? So I
33 > need to know EVMS and at least the basics of LVM?
34
35 Yes and no :-) It unites the whole volume management thing in a consistant
36 way. That means, for some parts it is just a gui frontend. Other parts,
37 like the drive linking feature, cluster manager or BBR plugin, are unique
38 to EVMS. The good thing here is that you can combine those things, i.e.
39 instead of creating an LVM container (volume group) on a partition
40 directly, you could put the BBR (Bad Block Relocation) plugin in between.
41 This you definitely can't do with bare LVM. The only thing that is missing
42 up to now is dm-crypt support.
43
44 Do you need to know the basics of LVM? IMHO it is better not to know the
45 basics of LVM, even though EVMS uses it. But since EVMS is using a
46 different terminology, it can be confusing.
47
48 Bye...
49
50 Dirk
51 --
52 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
53 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
54 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
55 Hambornerstraße 55 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
56 D-40472 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
57 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net