From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about grub
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:55:29
1 Am Montag, 9. Juli 2007 schrieb ext Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:41:05 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > > The alternative would
4 > > > be to use a separate /boot and mess around with initramfs images to
5 > > > load / from LVM, which is extra hassle and another potential point of
6 > > > failure.
7 > >
8 > > Want my scripts? ;-)
9 >
10 > I'd be interested to see them, although I like the idea of not depending
11 > on an initrd. As I no longer run a separate /boot, it wouldn't reduce my
12 > partition count either.
13
14 I see. What I do is to embed the initramfs into the kernel image. Works fine
15 as long as everything you need to setup / is compiled into the kernel
16 statically. There's also one scenario where separating / and /boot has a
17 clear advantage: Laptops with complete HD encryption. The only partition
18 you can leave unencrypted is the small /boot, everything else can be
19 encrypted (which means, you only need the passphrase for the / volume,
20 everything else can be unlocked via keyfiles stored on this
21 partition/volume. In this case you need an intrd/intramfs (the latter is
22 far easier to handle) anyway and can put / on an LV.
23
24 Oh, my scripts will reach you soon.
25
26 Bye...
27
28 Dirk
29 --
30 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
31 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
32 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
33 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
34 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
35 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net