From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network scanner
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 23:09:22
1 On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:19:58 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > I think I'm missing entry in make.conf:
4 > > I have
5 > > SANE_BACKENDS="epson2"
6 > >
7 > > but I'm not sure what to enter for brother scanner.
8
9 > Unless you are using portage to install the Brother drivers, I don't
10 > think that setting will matter. Emerge takes note of settings there
11 > when it is about to build packages. If you install a package by hand,
12 > outside portage, it won't likely matter.
13
14 That's right, the setting tells portage which of the drivers from
15 sane-backends you want installed. The Brother drivers aren't in
16 sane-backends.
17
18 > I've seen on this list where some seem to have got Brother to work.
19 > Maybe a search of past threads would shed some light. They might have
20 > some tiny snippet that helps get you on the road to success.
21
22 I had a Brother AIO devices and did have it working. Search bugzilla for
23 an ebuild for the Brother proprietary drivers.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 I've got a Mickey Mouse PC with a Goofy operating system.