From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network scanner
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:20:10
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 02/24/2017 02:28 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 24/02/2017 23:25, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> I've a Brother scanner ADS-2400N connected via network port.
5 >>>
6 >>> - I edit: /etc/sane.d/saned.conf (entered my network address: 10.0.0.1)
7 >>> - started: /etc/init.d/saned
8 >>> - installed brother printer drivers:
9 >>> rpm -ihv --nodeps brscan4-0.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm
10 >>>
11 >>> # brsaneconfig4 -q |grep 2400
12 >>> 65 "ADS-2400N"
13 >>>
14 >>> but when I run as user: "scanimage -L"
15 >>> device `epson2:libusb:002:003' is a Epson GT-9300 flatbed scanner
16 >>>
17 >>> only my epson scanner is showing up, NO Brother scanner is detected.
18 >>>
19 >>> What am I missing?
20 >>
21 >> Maybe that you are using a Red Hat package manager on a Gentoo machine?
22 >> Or that you wanted to ask fedora-user and sent it to gentoo-user by mistake?
23 > I think I'm missing entry in make.conf:
24 > I have
25 > SANE_BACKENDS="epson2"
26 >
27 > but I'm not sure what to enter for brother scanner.
28 >
29 > --
30 > Thelma
35 Unless you are using portage to install the Brother drivers, I don't
36 think that setting will matter. Emerge takes note of settings there
37 when it is about to build packages. If you install a package by hand,
38 outside portage, it won't likely matter.
39
40 I might add this for future reference. Before buying equipment, make
41 sure it works with Linux, the distro you use for sure. Some brands work
42 pretty easy but has some models that don't. HP for example generally
43 works however, I've seen certain models that have something unique about
44 them that causes them to not work at all or only certain limited
45 functions. In my experience Lexmark is one that I have never got to
46 work, any model. I avoid Lexmark like it's a disease. Scanners are in
47 the same boat as printers, since some have both built in.
48
49 I've seen on this list where some seem to have got Brother to work.
50 Maybe a search of past threads would shed some light. They might have
51 some tiny snippet that helps get you on the road to success.
52
53 Dale
54