From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network scanner [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 22:30:53
1 On 02/24/2017 03:19 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 02/24/2017 02:28 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 24/02/2017 23:25, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>>> I've a Brother scanner ADS-2400N connected via network port.
6 [snip]
9 > Unless you are using portage to install the Brother drivers, I don't
10 > think that setting will matter. Emerge takes note of settings there
11 > when it is about to build packages. If you install a package by hand,
12 > outside portage, it won't likely matter.
13 >
14 > I might add this for future reference. Before buying equipment, make
15 > sure it works with Linux, the distro you use for sure. Some brands work
16 > pretty easy but has some models that don't. HP for example generally
17 > works however, I've seen certain models that have something unique about
18 > them that causes them to not work at all or only certain limited
19 > functions. In my experience Lexmark is one that I have never got to
20 > work, any model. I avoid Lexmark like it's a disease. Scanners are in
21 > the same boat as printers, since some have both built in.
22 >
23 > I've seen on this list where some seem to have got Brother to work.
24 > Maybe a search of past threads would shed some light. They might have
25 > some tiny snippet that helps get you on the road to success.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-) :-)
30
31 Apology for all those annoying questions.
32
33 I was able to make it to work:
34 rpm -ihv --nodeps brscan4-0.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm
35 emerge -avq media-gfx/brother-scan3-bin
36 brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=ADC-2400N ip=10.0.0.138
37
38 I know, mixing portage with rpm is not a good idea.
39
40 Brother ADS-2400N scanner works with USB, Network connection, duplex
41 works as well.
42 The mail reason I bought this scanner is that it can be connected to
43 network and has TWAIN driver (my Fujitsu ScanSnap-junk doesn't have one).
44
45 However, following your suggestion I found "ebuild" in overlay for this
46 scanner, so I reversed the installation and used ebuild:
47 media-gfx/brother-ads2400n-bin
48
49 The only annoying feature in this scanner is that doesn't have "auto
50 crop" (windows does) auto-feeder does not work. Scanning small receipts
51 showing black borders on both sides (snapscan borders are white - easier
52 to fax, print).
53 I'll need to ask Brother support if it possible to change the borders to
54 white background.
57 Thelma