From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel updates
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:44:30
1 Digby Tarvin schreef:
2 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 08:25:52PM -0400, James Hiscock wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I gather one cannot just copy the .config file for this much of a
5 >>> jump, so I guess the best thing to do is a simultaneous 'make
6 >>> menuconfig' in both old and new kernel using two different
7 >>> windows so that I can be sure to copy each of the current
8 >>> settings across.
9 >>
10 >> Easier solution: copy the .config, and then run "make oldconfig" --
11 >> it'll prompt you for any changes made in the new kernel, and dump
12 >> any invalid options...
13 >>
14 > Thanks James and Qian,
15 >
16 > But doesn't this conflict with the advice given in
17 > kernel-upgrade.xml, which says:
18 >
19 > The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from
20 > one Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made
21 > between gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be
22 > very small, so it is usually OK to use the following method. However,
23 > it is not appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this
24 > document: upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the
25 > official releases, and the method described below does not display
26 > enough context to the user, often resulting in the user running into
27 > problems because they disabled options that they really didn't want
28 > to.
29 >
30 > As I am going from 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 to 2.6.12-gentoo-r10, which is
31 > more than just a revision change, it would seen that 'make oldconfig'
32 > is not recomended.
35 (top posting fixed)
36
37 Maybe not, but it does make it easier-- there's no reason you can't do a
38 make oldconfig to get the basic settings that you want/need (for
39 example, my kernel is set up for the ATI fglrx driver install and
40 fbsplash, and I want those settings copied over), and then do a make
41 menuconfig and go through the kernel settings manually to see what's
42 new. For the most part, the kernel help is extremely informative, and I
43 recommend that one do a make menuconfig every so often anyway, just to
44 *look* at the kernel, and read the Help for any options you don't
45 understand.
46
47 For a major kernel revision jump (and often even a minor one) I usually
48 do that, for the reasons mentioned in the docs, but having done a make
49 oldconfig first (or copied over my config to the new kernel) at least
50 ensures that certain basics will be set up without me having to remember
51 the labyrinthine collection of dependencies that results in the "Enable
52 framebuffer splash" setting to even appear in the config, leaving me
53 free to focus on the new options and decide how I want to handle them.
54
55 Holly.
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list