From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel updates
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:49:47
1 Thanks James and Qian,
2
3 But doesn't this conflict with the advice given in kernel-upgrade.xml, which
4 says:
5
6 The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small, so it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this document: upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official releases, and the method described below does not display enough context to the user, often resulting in the user running into problems because they disabled options that they really didn't want to.
7
8 As I am going from 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 to 2.6.12-gentoo-r10, which is more
9 than just a revision change, it would seen that 'make oldconfig' is not
10 recomended.
11
12 Regards,
13 DigbyT