From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 01:18:03
1 On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 28 May 2016 21:54:09 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >
5 > > thanks a lot. My eyes are bleeding.
6 >
7 > Serves you right for being daft enough to read it again!
8 >
9 > I'd suggest that Alan RTFM for the commands he uses, but that would be a
10 > waste of keystrokes.
13 I have to agree with ng0
14
15 WOW!
16
17 Alan just wants to start it and walk away, as if Gentoo was a binary
18 distribution
19 that handles it all upstream. He doesn't want to take the time to review
20 what
21 emerge is proposing and see if changes are needed first.
22
23 Hey Alan: Gentoo is NOT a start an update and walk away setup. Some human
24 mind needs to be involved if troubles arise. Also, read make.conf(5) and
25 set up
26 the various variables correctly; PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET should only have
27 one python version set.
28
29 Furthermore, the current portage doesn't require the revdep-rebuild step
30 because
31 of the @preserved-rebuild set creation.
32
33 In any case, to try and force things through without looking at what
34 problems are occuring
35 is just (excuse my language) batshit crazy stupid.
38 I use my update generator script so make the emerge command(s) just so
39 I can preview the packages and modify the sequences or leave out some
40 updates
41 if i need/want to do so. (E.g. I may want to defer a chromium or
42 libreoffice update
43 to after other updates are done and/or set them to occur with a lower
44 niceness or
45 an ionice idle class.)
48 G.Wolfe Woodbury
49 redwolfe@×××××.com