From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 12:12:31
1 Gregory Woodbury wrote:
4 > On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk
5 > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Sat, 28 May 2016 21:54:09 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
8 >
9 > > thanks a lot. My eyes are bleeding.
10 >
11 > Serves you right for being daft enough to read it again!
12 >
13 > I'd suggest that Alan RTFM for the commands he uses, but that
14 > would be a
15 > waste of keystrokes.
18 > I have to agree with ng0
19 >
20 > WOW!
21 >
22 > Alan just wants to start it and walk away, as if Gentoo was a binary
23 > distribution
24 > that handles it all upstream. He doesn't want to take the time to
25 > review what
26 > emerge is proposing and see if changes are needed first.
27
28 You know what? fuck you. That's what.
29
30 The update list it's proposing is 403 packages, or roughly 25% of my
31 system.
32
33 Packages are being updated at such a breakneck pace these days that it
34 simply isn't humanly possible to review these manually, or even do
35 anything intelligent if I tried. Back in the golden age, for about ten
36 years even! my approach to updating my system worked great. Then emerge
37 got ornery and stopped letting the necessary, cathartic, inevitable,
38 trainwreck take place, which is actually a good thing because the
39 partial-good, update which seems nightmarish on first analysis,
40 ***ACTUALLY CORRECTS ITSELF WHEN THE SCRIPT IS RUN REPEATEDLY UNTIL NO
41 PROBLEMS REMAIN AND THE SYSTEM IS PRISTINE AND GOOD FOR REBOOT***. I
42 have done this happily many many many many times. It actually works that
43 way and I was gleefully singing gentoo's praise for many years.
44
45 No, the penguins seem to think it is possible to get it perfect on the
46 first iteration. It's not. It's not just that there are a handful of
47 packages that just won't work no matter what, it's just that it is
48 sometimes necessary to let a bootstrapping process take place. This
49 actually works if you don't use such draconian checking.
50
51 > Hey Alan: Gentoo is NOT a start an update and walk away setup. Some human
52 > mind needs to be involved if troubles arise. Also, read make.conf(5)
53 > and set up
54 > the various variables correctly; PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET should only have
55 > one python version set.
56
57 DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK I'M THAT STUPID??? SERIOUSLY????
58
59 > Furthermore, the current portage doesn't require the revdep-rebuild
60 > step because
61 > of the @preserved-rebuild set creation.
62
63 That missfeature is incompatible with how I use my system. I have not
64 reformatted my hard drive in six years.
65
66 The principle way I accomplish that is by prohibiting the growth of
67 cruft in the system. I cannot tolerate the accumulation of back versions
68 anywhere in the system except where absolutely necessary. So if it is
69 possible to re-build broken packages against new versions, I demand that
70 take place
71 as quickly as possible such that the system is left in the most pristine
72 and self-consistent state possible. --- secret of immortality, dude. =\
73
74 Gentoo used to be superlatively excellent at that.
75
76 > In any case, to try and force things through without looking at what
77 > problems are occuring
78 > is just (excuse my language) batshit crazy stupid.
79
80 You
81 dumb.
82 shit.
83
84 You literally have no fucking clue do you?
85
86 Do you think I enabled that missfeature they introduced a few years ago
87 that hid all of the build output so all I got to see was
88
89 installing package (1/400)
90 installing package (2/400)
91 installing package (3/400)
92
93 I am typing this on my smaller monitor because I have the full verbose
94 build process fullscreen on my 24". That's right, for the last 12 years,
95 I have watched every single build take place in live time because I've
96 watched it execute every single compiler invocation, I have watched
97 every error and warning message.
98
99 I do not need log files because I watch everything in live time. By
100 doing this, I have learned things about my packages that you fucking
101 dipshits couldn't imagine. Back before when Gentoo jumped the shark
102 (tried to force everyone onto libav), the system was completely
103 self-correcting, If the system set was intact, literally every other
104 problem would self correct. I didn't need to rant on this list because
105 everything was perfect.
106
107 The problem is that the portage people don't understand how the packages
108 actually work or what happens when these stupid, recently implemented
109 checks are disabled and emerge is run iteratively.
110
111 > I use my update generator script so make the emerge command(s) just so
112 > I can preview the packages and modify the sequences or leave out some
113 > updates
114 > if i need/want to do so. (E.g. I may want to defer a chromium or
115 > libreoffice update
116 > to after other updates are done and/or set them to occur with a lower
117 > niceness or
118 > an ionice idle class.)
119
120 It wouldn't let me do that because it was throwing a conflict message
121 for libreoffice so I was forced to temporarily uninstall it to clear a
122 block message, fuck you again portage...
126 IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
127
128 Powers are not rights.