From: Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT, game-related,long] Changing file dates?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:50:34
1 Hi,
2
3 Maybe I misunderstand something, but can't you just use 'touch' to
4 change the time of the files? If there are too many of them, it should
5 be easy to create a script that does it, using the output of 'ls -lR' or
6 some kind of 'find' on the directory where this is installed correctly.
7
8 Moshe
9
10 * Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> [01/08/05 14:21]:
11 >
12 > Hi, all--
13 >
14 > The short version is that I 'need' to do something to 'fix' the
15 > efficiency of installing and running a game (The Elder Scrolls 3:
16 > Morrowind), but I'm not quite sure what or how, so I (unfortunately)
17 > have to explain the problem at some length in the hopes that someone
18 > else will have a better take on it. When (if) you read it, you'll
19 > (hopefully) see why I'm writing here rather than somewhere else (because
20 > I can't figure out to which of the many other involved parties this mail
21 > might be appropriate).
22 >
23 > The summary: I'm trying to document how to run Morrowind, using an ATI
24 > card and the fglrx drivers, with user-created add-on modules, under
25 > Linux (for myself, as I love Morrowind, and for a HOW-TO, since I can
26 > *run* it now, but I want to write it down to help others and myself in
27 > the future). However, oddities of Morrowind, Linux, and Windows programs
28 > generally are making this more difficult than it seems to need to be--
29 > one 'oddity' in particular.
30 >
31 > The obstacle: Well, there are several, such as Linux's case sensitivity,
32 > and Windows' lack thereof, and the fact that some module makers pack
33 > their archives badly so extraction to the installed game's data folder
34 > can be a nightmare-- but those are relatively easily solved (WinRAR and
35 > Total Commander, respectively, both of which run adequately under Wine).
36 > The immovable object atm seems to be file dates.
37 >
38 > You see, Morrowind stores its base graphic data in *.bsa files (bethesda
39 > softworks archives), and its data (scripts and object locations and the
40 > like) in *.esm (elder scrolls master?) files. These files, when
41 > installed by the game, of course have a date (which is first of all
42 > different depending on how you install, but we'll come to that).
43 >
44 > The 'problem' is that if one then installs user-created plugins (of
45 > which there are several thousand), Morrowind uses the file date to
46 > determine whether the plugin's files override the original files found
47 > in the *.bsa, and in what order they do so (in the event that Plugin A
48 > changes something that Plugin B also changes, the timestamp also
49 > determines which change the player finally sees when the game actually
50 > starts).
51 >
52 > Now this is a "normal" Morrowind problem, insofar as it exists under
53 > Windows as well (getting your plugins to load in the right order is a
54 > horrendous job, which is why there are several tools to help with the
55 > process, but it's still horrifying if you want to run more than...oh,
56 > two or three plugins. And Morrowind players commonly run a hundred or
57 > two hundred, as the game will allow up to 255. Right now I've got 56
58 > listed in my Morrowind.ini, and that's slightly less than half of my
59 > 'minimum required to set up this game to my preferences' set, nothing
60 > said about 'quests, tweaks, and fixes that might be nice to have'). But
61 > under Linux, the original install file dates are not the same[1] as they
62 > are under Windows, and this adds a possibly unsurmountable level of
63 > complexity to the issue.
64 >
65 > [1] There are two ways to install Morrowind. You can install it under
66 > Wine or Cedega using the regular Setup.exe, or you can install it via a
67 > script found at Loki Installers for Linux Gamers (http://liflg.org ).
68 >
69 > If you install with Wine or Cedega, the installed *.bsa and *.esm files
70 > will carry the original file date of 2002 or 2003, which most plugins
71 > will automatically override (because the plugins were naturally created
72 > more recently than the original files).
73 >
74 > However, if you install the game and its expansion packs via Wine or
75 > Cedega, the installation process will take about 15 hours
76 > (approximately 6 for Morrowind, 2.5 for Tribunal, and another 6 for
77 > Bloodmoon). This problem is common to both Wine and Cedega. Obviously no
78 > one is going to do that on a regular basis, or even once, really (even
79 > though I did, in order to document it, and to get the Registry entries
80 > for the program. I don't count, since I'm such an oddball).
81 >
82 > The loki installer takes some 15-30 minutes and works perfectly-- except
83 > that the extracted *.bsa and *.esm files seem to get the date you
84 > installed the game ("today"). Which means that-- since the Morrowind.ini
85 > is usually set to
86 >
87 > > ;-1 Use raw data, 0 Use Newer, 1 use Archive Only
88 > > TryArchiveFirst=0
89 >
90 > use the 'newer' file when determining what graphic data to use to
91 > display the textures for rocks/trees/buildings/people/clothing/etc, any
92 > dedicated texture replacers (or plugins that want to replace selected
93 > original textures in the course of their operation) are just not going
94 > to work right, because the bsa archive is always going to be 'newer'
95 > (because it has a date of "today", when I installed the game) than the
96 > replacement files --which might have been packed and uploaded
97 > *yesterday*. But since WinRAR and all other native and non-native
98 > archive manangement programs that I've tried are (naturally) going to
99 > extract the plugin files without modifying the date of the archived
100 > files (and don't seem to have an option to change that, because it
101 > doesn't make much sense to want to do that in the first place)... the
102 > extracted archives are almost always going to have an 'earlier' date
103 > than the original game files, and be overridden by the original game
104 > files (which is not the way it's supposed to work).
105 >
106 > Now, what's weird is that this *did* work, but (as is traditional for
107 > me), I got a bit too tangled up in plugin conformance testing to know
108 > where the heck I was anymore, so I backed up the install, reinstalled,
109 > and started over, and suddenly my texture replacer isn't replacing
110 > textures anymore. The very idea of trying to debug the differences
111 > between the old install and the new is too horrifying to comtemplate.
112 > Plus, it's not to the point (as of yet, and hopefully it won't ever be).
113 >
114 > So what I need is a reasonable way for an 'average user' to fix this. On
115 > my personal system, because I have installed the "15-hour version"
116 > (which dates correctly) as well as the Loki install (which is what I'm
117 > actually playing), I can just copy the original *.bsa and *.esm files
118 > over the Loki-extracted ones (which I just thought of and which seems to
119 > work on paper), but I couldn't advise that to the general public.
120 >
121 > Having written all of this out, I can see that this is most properly
122 > fixed by the Loki installer script (which should not change dates when
123 > extracting the game files from the *.cab files, if it is in fact doing
124 > so), and I will post on their forums to request that change (since I
125 > can't get the script or archive or whatever it is open to change
126 > anything myself).
127 >
128 > However, since I have no way of knowing whether anyone there will
129 > actually give a hoot, or have time to fix it in a timely manner, what
130 > I'm looking for is a workaround.
131 >
132 > "Obviously", I could change the system date (to something like august
133 > 1st 2000) prior to installing using the Loki script, then change it
134 > back, but that's just 1) ugly; 2) dangerous. I wouldn't want to suggest
135 > that as a workaround, even if the HOW-TO never went past my own /docs
136 > folder.
137 >
138 > What I would like is a way to change the date of specific files to a
139 > specific date (in the past), without "changing" (editing) them, which is
140 > not an option with the original Morrowind files (or, if it is possible,
141 > it's only so with additional external tools and a whole lot of difficulty).
142 >
143 > Is this even possible to do? Now that I've said it "out loud", it
144 > doesn't sound like something Linux would want me to do at all, but
145 > perhaps there's some reason that server admins might need to do such a
146 > thing, in which case Linux definitely provides a way to do it.
147 >
148 > If it is not possible, or is unreasonably dangerous to explain on a
149 > public forum, can anyone think of an alternative solution, given the
150 > circumstances, until such time as the Loki installer is fixed (if in
151 > fact it needs to be fixed and the issue is not that my system is borked
152 > somehow)?
153 >
154 > Or is my system possibly borked somehow and these files are being
155 > incorrectly stamped due to something completely unrelated to the installer?
156 >
157 > Anyway, thanks for listening (if you did), and thanks for any ideas.
158 >
159 > Holly
160 >
161 > P.S. This all sounds very difficult and unpleasant-- and it is-- but,
162 > YES, Morrowind really is worth the trouble if you like RPGs. In this
163 > respect, it resembles The Sims (as a very difficult game to get the
164 > relatively useless base game installed and running at all and then the
165 > mods that make it all worthwhile running on top of it, nothing said
166 > about which expansions work and which dont, although apparently
167 > Superstar will crash the game at startup). It's next on my list of
168 > HOW-TOs, but I will say that The Sims Deluxe does install under Linux
169 > and run under some form of Wine (don't remember which atm, but I'm not
170 > touching my Sims install until I've got Morrowind working to my
171 > specifications). So for those of you who 1) read all this, 2) have ATI
172 > cards, and 3) want to play either of these games-- IT CAN BE DONE.
173 >
174 > And I promise to tell you how, if you guys help me over this hump.
175 >
176 > H.
182 > --
183 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
187 I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
188 -- Douglas Adams
189
190 Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@××××××××××××.il>
191 Home: 08-9456841