From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT, game-related,long] Changing file dates?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:14:24
1 Hi, all--
2
3 The short version is that I 'need' to do something to 'fix' the
4 efficiency of installing and running a game (The Elder Scrolls 3:
5 Morrowind), but I'm not quite sure what or how, so I (unfortunately)
6 have to explain the problem at some length in the hopes that someone
7 else will have a better take on it. When (if) you read it, you'll
8 (hopefully) see why I'm writing here rather than somewhere else (because
9 I can't figure out to which of the many other involved parties this mail
10 might be appropriate).
11
12 The summary: I'm trying to document how to run Morrowind, using an ATI
13 card and the fglrx drivers, with user-created add-on modules, under
14 Linux (for myself, as I love Morrowind, and for a HOW-TO, since I can
15 *run* it now, but I want to write it down to help others and myself in
16 the future). However, oddities of Morrowind, Linux, and Windows programs
17 generally are making this more difficult than it seems to need to be--
18 one 'oddity' in particular.
19
20 The obstacle: Well, there are several, such as Linux's case sensitivity,
21 and Windows' lack thereof, and the fact that some module makers pack
22 their archives badly so extraction to the installed game's data folder
23 can be a nightmare-- but those are relatively easily solved (WinRAR and
24 Total Commander, respectively, both of which run adequately under Wine).
25 The immovable object atm seems to be file dates.
26
27 You see, Morrowind stores its base graphic data in *.bsa files (bethesda
28 softworks archives), and its data (scripts and object locations and the
29 like) in *.esm (elder scrolls master?) files. These files, when
30 installed by the game, of course have a date (which is first of all
31 different depending on how you install, but we'll come to that).
32
33 The 'problem' is that if one then installs user-created plugins (of
34 which there are several thousand), Morrowind uses the file date to
35 determine whether the plugin's files override the original files found
36 in the *.bsa, and in what order they do so (in the event that Plugin A
37 changes something that Plugin B also changes, the timestamp also
38 determines which change the player finally sees when the game actually
39 starts).
40
41 Now this is a "normal" Morrowind problem, insofar as it exists under
42 Windows as well (getting your plugins to load in the right order is a
43 horrendous job, which is why there are several tools to help with the
44 process, but it's still horrifying if you want to run more than...oh,
45 two or three plugins. And Morrowind players commonly run a hundred or
46 two hundred, as the game will allow up to 255. Right now I've got 56
47 listed in my Morrowind.ini, and that's slightly less than half of my
48 'minimum required to set up this game to my preferences' set, nothing
49 said about 'quests, tweaks, and fixes that might be nice to have'). But
50 under Linux, the original install file dates are not the same[1] as they
51 are under Windows, and this adds a possibly unsurmountable level of
52 complexity to the issue.
53
54 [1] There are two ways to install Morrowind. You can install it under
55 Wine or Cedega using the regular Setup.exe, or you can install it via a
56 script found at Loki Installers for Linux Gamers (http://liflg.org ).
57
58 If you install with Wine or Cedega, the installed *.bsa and *.esm files
59 will carry the original file date of 2002 or 2003, which most plugins
60 will automatically override (because the plugins were naturally created
61 more recently than the original files).
62
63 However, if you install the game and its expansion packs via Wine or
64 Cedega, the installation process will take about 15 hours
65 (approximately 6 for Morrowind, 2.5 for Tribunal, and another 6 for
66 Bloodmoon). This problem is common to both Wine and Cedega. Obviously no
67 one is going to do that on a regular basis, or even once, really (even
68 though I did, in order to document it, and to get the Registry entries
69 for the program. I don't count, since I'm such an oddball).
70
71 The loki installer takes some 15-30 minutes and works perfectly-- except
72 that the extracted *.bsa and *.esm files seem to get the date you
73 installed the game ("today"). Which means that-- since the Morrowind.ini
74 is usually set to
75
76 > ;-1 Use raw data, 0 Use Newer, 1 use Archive Only
77 > TryArchiveFirst=0
78
79 use the 'newer' file when determining what graphic data to use to
80 display the textures for rocks/trees/buildings/people/clothing/etc, any
81 dedicated texture replacers (or plugins that want to replace selected
82 original textures in the course of their operation) are just not going
83 to work right, because the bsa archive is always going to be 'newer'
84 (because it has a date of "today", when I installed the game) than the
85 replacement files --which might have been packed and uploaded
86 *yesterday*. But since WinRAR and all other native and non-native
87 archive manangement programs that I've tried are (naturally) going to
88 extract the plugin files without modifying the date of the archived
89 files (and don't seem to have an option to change that, because it
90 doesn't make much sense to want to do that in the first place)... the
91 extracted archives are almost always going to have an 'earlier' date
92 than the original game files, and be overridden by the original game
93 files (which is not the way it's supposed to work).
94
95 Now, what's weird is that this *did* work, but (as is traditional for
96 me), I got a bit too tangled up in plugin conformance testing to know
97 where the heck I was anymore, so I backed up the install, reinstalled,
98 and started over, and suddenly my texture replacer isn't replacing
99 textures anymore. The very idea of trying to debug the differences
100 between the old install and the new is too horrifying to comtemplate.
101 Plus, it's not to the point (as of yet, and hopefully it won't ever be).
102
103 So what I need is a reasonable way for an 'average user' to fix this. On
104 my personal system, because I have installed the "15-hour version"
105 (which dates correctly) as well as the Loki install (which is what I'm
106 actually playing), I can just copy the original *.bsa and *.esm files
107 over the Loki-extracted ones (which I just thought of and which seems to
108 work on paper), but I couldn't advise that to the general public.
109
110 Having written all of this out, I can see that this is most properly
111 fixed by the Loki installer script (which should not change dates when
112 extracting the game files from the *.cab files, if it is in fact doing
113 so), and I will post on their forums to request that change (since I
114 can't get the script or archive or whatever it is open to change
115 anything myself).
116
117 However, since I have no way of knowing whether anyone there will
118 actually give a hoot, or have time to fix it in a timely manner, what
119 I'm looking for is a workaround.
120
121 "Obviously", I could change the system date (to something like august
122 1st 2000) prior to installing using the Loki script, then change it
123 back, but that's just 1) ugly; 2) dangerous. I wouldn't want to suggest
124 that as a workaround, even if the HOW-TO never went past my own /docs
125 folder.
126
127 What I would like is a way to change the date of specific files to a
128 specific date (in the past), without "changing" (editing) them, which is
129 not an option with the original Morrowind files (or, if it is possible,
130 it's only so with additional external tools and a whole lot of difficulty).
131
132 Is this even possible to do? Now that I've said it "out loud", it
133 doesn't sound like something Linux would want me to do at all, but
134 perhaps there's some reason that server admins might need to do such a
135 thing, in which case Linux definitely provides a way to do it.
136
137 If it is not possible, or is unreasonably dangerous to explain on a
138 public forum, can anyone think of an alternative solution, given the
139 circumstances, until such time as the Loki installer is fixed (if in
140 fact it needs to be fixed and the issue is not that my system is borked
141 somehow)?
142
143 Or is my system possibly borked somehow and these files are being
144 incorrectly stamped due to something completely unrelated to the installer?
145
146 Anyway, thanks for listening (if you did), and thanks for any ideas.
147
148 Holly
149
150 P.S. This all sounds very difficult and unpleasant-- and it is-- but,
151 YES, Morrowind really is worth the trouble if you like RPGs. In this
152 respect, it resembles The Sims (as a very difficult game to get the
153 relatively useless base game installed and running at all and then the
154 mods that make it all worthwhile running on top of it, nothing said
155 about which expansions work and which dont, although apparently
156 Superstar will crash the game at startup). It's next on my list of
157 HOW-TOs, but I will say that The Sims Deluxe does install under Linux
158 and run under some form of Wine (don't remember which atm, but I'm not
159 touching my Sims install until I've got Morrowind working to my
160 specifications). So for those of you who 1) read all this, 2) have ATI
161 cards, and 3) want to play either of these games-- IT CAN BE DONE.
162
163 And I promise to tell you how, if you guys help me over this hump.
164
165 H.
172 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list