From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 03:53:27
1 On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:03:58AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote
2
3 > FUD again. The backwards compability is still all there and udev can be
4 > built standalone and ran standalone.
5
6 For how long can it be built standalone? The following "FUD" brought
7 to you courtesy of Kay Sievers... http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-July/006065.html
8
9 > We promised to keep udev properly *running* as standalone, we never
10 > told that it can be *build* standalone. And that still stands.
11 >
12 > We never claimed, that all the surrounding things like documentation
13 > always fully match, if only udev is picked out of systemd.
14 >
15 > I would welcome if people stop reading that "promise" into the
16 > announcement, it just wasn't written there.
17
18 That's not some paranoid conspiracy theorist, that's the systemd
19 developer speaking.
20
21 > And on the contrary, there was no need for sys-fs/eudev to remove
22 > support for sys-fs/systemd when it could have supported both
23 > sys-apps/systemd and sys-apps/openrc like sys-fs/udev does without
24 > issues.
25
26 What do you mean by eudev supporting systemd? udev is an integrated
27 part of the systemd tarball (that can operate standalone... for now).
28 eudev isn't. I'm old enough to remember IBM's OS/2 attempting to
29 support Windows 3.1 and how that got broken by minor binary changes in
30 Windows 3.11. eudev would be in a similar situation, attempting to
31 support a hostile systemd "side-stream".
32
33 I think that the best way to end these arguments is a peaceful divorce
34 with systemd and eudev each going their own way.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications