From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 07:05:41
1 On 02/08/13 09:06, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:17 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >> On 02/08/13 11:01, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>> On 02/08/13 05:48, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> Huh? USE="firmware-loader" is optional and enabled by default in
8 >>>>> sys-fs/udev
9 >>>>> Futhermore predictable network interface names work as designed, not a
10 >>>>> single valid bug filed about them.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Stop spreading FUD.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Looking forward to lastrite sys-fs/eudev just like
15 >>>>> sys-apps/module-init-tools already was removed as unnecessary later on.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> So your real agenda is to kill eudev? Maybe it is you that is spreading
18 >>>> FUD instead of others. Like others have said, udev was going to cause
19 >>>> issues, eudev has yet to cause any.
20 >>>
21 >>> Yes, absolutely sys-fs/eudev should be punted from tree since it doesn't
22 >>> bring in anything useful, and it reintroduced old bugs from old version
23 >>> of udev, as well as adds confusing to users.
24 >>> And no, sys-fs/udev doesn't have issues, in fact, less than what
25 >>> sys-fs/eudev has.
26 >>> Like said earlier, the bugs assigned to udev-bugs@g.o apply also to
27 >>> sys-fs/eudev and they have even more in their github ticketing system.
28 >>> And sys-fs/udev maintainers have to constantly monitor sys-fs/eudev so
29 >>> it doesn't fall too much behind, which adds double work unnecessarily.
30 >>> They don't keep it up-to-date on their own without prodding.
31 >>>
32 >>> Really, this is how it has went right from the start and the double work
33 >>> and user confusion needs to stop.
34 >>>
35 >>> - Samuli
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >> From my point of view, its udev/systemd that should be punted - what
39 >> about user choice? - Ive decided I no longer want to buy into the flaky,
40 >> unusable systems gnome3 and udev/systemd integration caused me even
41 >> though I didn't have systemd installed, so why should I be forced to? A
42 >> group have come up with a way to keep my systems running properly
43 >> without those packages and its working better than udev ever has for me ...
44 >>
45 >> BillK
48 > I second this statement!
49 > The monolithic nature of the systemd maintainer is something that
50 > should be banned (dependency, which requires dependency recursively
51 > until you end up with no choice and medium quality components).
52 > There was no reason to merge the code base of udev to any other code base.
53 > There was no reason to kill backward compatibility.
54
55 FUD again. The backwards compability is still all there and udev can be
56 built standalone and ran standalone.
57 And on the contrary, there was no need for sys-fs/eudev to remove
58 support for sys-fs/systemd when it could have supported both
59 sys-apps/systemd and sys-apps/openrc like sys-fs/udev does without issues.