From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 10:59:01
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > FUD again. The backwards compability is still all there and udev can be
3 > built standalone and ran standalone.
4
5 Sorry I'm going to call "bullshit" on this one.
6
7 You know damn well "upstream" moved udev into systemd, promising everyone it would
8 be possible to continue to build just udev, and then changed that with weasel words
9 into "build everything and extract udev".
10
11 So you cannot "build udev standalone" any more, as you state. You have to build systemd
12 and then extract the udev stuff you actually want.
13
14 You don't like other projects bundling dependencies, but somehow it's ok for systemd.
15 Utter tripe.
16
17 > And on the contrary, there was no need for sys-fs/eudev to remove
18 > support for sys-fs/systemd when it could have supported both
19 > sys-apps/systemd and sys-apps/openrc like sys-fs/udev does without issues.
20
21 Huh? WTF would be the point, when systemd bundles udev?
22
23 We already have loads of people on the forums having issues with conflicts between
24 sys-apps/systemd and sys-fs/udev, so again your point is total nonsense.
25
26 None of which detracts from for your sterling work on Gentoo, and the support you provide
27 to users on various media.
30 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)