From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:03:05
1 On 21/07/13 06:42, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:38:59 -0500, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >
4 >>> A known, good kernel is not much help if your root filesystem is
5 >>> damaged, although I do make sure I always have at least one such
6 >>> kernel in /boot.
7 >
8 >> Thanks. I assume you must have a separate /boot partition in case "your
9 >> root filesystem is damaged" or this still doesn't help, eh?
10 >
11 > Yes, and it's mounted ro to minimise the risk of such damage.
15 I used to do this (keeping a rescue partitio) ... but found it was
16 useful only some of the time. Nowadays I just leave a sysrescuecd USB
17 key on top of the case :) Same features, useful in more circumstances,
18 less maintenance overhead.
19
20 BillK