From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:25:50
1 > > With a satellite
2 > > connection it's straightforward. You always deal with the same
3 > > company and it works right from your hacienda on the beach. In my
4 > > experience, staying connected on the road is really hard. A satellite
5 > > system would make it really easy, but somewhat expensive.
6 >
7 > Sure, but satellite reception and bandwidth is not always as good as it
8 > sounds. I remember seeing a comparison between different Internet access
9 > media and the satellite Internet access did not exactly come on top.
10 > Reception was patchy (can't recall where they were trying it out) and at
11 > times throughput was no higher than a fixed line dialup connection.
12 > Depending where you are you may have to wait for Uncle Sam's sat to fly above
13 > before you can hook up.
14 >
15 > Notwithstanding the above your needs do no doubt vary from mine and a
16 > satellite may well be the best solution. for you Getting your company to pay
17 > for it may be the best option. Trying it out from a retail place, or the
18 > next local electronics show could give you a taster under optimum conditions.
19
20 Check this out:
21
22 http://www.satphonestore.com/index.cfm?page=rentals
23
24 $50/week and $7.95/MB sounds affordable. I'll have to do some testing
25 to see what kind of data charges I might incur at that rate but that
26 sounds pretty good to me.
27
28 - Grant
29 --