From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:37:07
1 On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > > > I was looking for a relatively easy way to get online in most places
3 > > > around the world, but maybe GSM isn't it. I swore off WIFI hunting
4 > > > after visiting the Greek island of Corfu, and from jiwire.com it looks
5 > > > like there is still nothing there. Check this out though:
6 > > >
7 > > > http://www.geofone.net/bgan-sale.htm
8 > > >
9 > > > These are lightweight, plenty fast, USB, Bluetooth, ethernet, and the
10 > > > page even mentions Linux. $20/day and $7.95/MB doesn't sound so bad.
11 > > > How can I figure out how much data I send/receive right now during
12 > > > minimal operation?
13 > >
14 > > Don't know how long you intend staying connected each day, or how much
15 > > data you need to up/download, but $20 a day doesn't exactly hit me as a
16 > > deal . . .
17 > >
18 > > That's well more than what I would expect to have to pay a month, even
19 > > when I am on international roaming charges away from home.
20 >
21 > From what I can tell, there just isn't a good solution for staying
22 > connected while traveling around the world yet. I think a
23 > lightweight, fast satellite connection like the ones in that link
24 > would be perfect, but they are a bit expensive. Not as expensive as
25 > the last time I looked though.
26
27 That's right, they are along with satellite cell phones slowly reducing in
28 price.
29
30 > Connecting via GSM sounds like a cheaper solution but I wonder how it
31 > would end up after phone rental charges,
32
33 There may be no need to rent, unless you're off to Costa Rica. A lot of PAYG
34 deals throw in a phone for free over here.
35
36 > SIM cards,
37
38 SIM cards are usually free (again I am only speaking for the UK market -
39 YMMV), or cost no more than $20 and you get some free calls for that.
40
41 > international voice charges,
42
43 OK, this can be a sting in the tail, some providers were charging too much for
44 roaming abroad. The telecoms regulator has brought this under control lately
45 by capping the charges. When I roam around Europe I can still ring my ISP's
46 UK dialup number for a reasonable cost.
47
48 > however they charge you for local data, local dial-up
49 > charges, getting ripped by the fine print because you're likely
50 > dealing with a different company every time, gas and time spent
51 > looking for a good signal and power outlet, etc.
52
53 I know what you're saying, but WiFi coverage is increasing, even in rural
54 areas. OK, Corfu may still be an exception although the Starbux monopoly is
55 spreading its wings across the globe. Sometimes the local council may
56 compete for WiFi provision. I saw tens of kids with laptops hanging around
57 and browsing obsessively in a central square in Athens, Greece, a couple of
58 months ago. I was told that this is a free WiFi hotspot offered by the Mayor
59 to promote new technologies. You could also find that a lot of hotel lobbies
60 (my favourite option) offer peace & quite, a drink and a few hours of
61 uninterrupted Internet usage. Some of the hotels may charge for WiFi usage,
62 but many more do not.
63
64 > With a satellite
65 > connection it's straightforward. You always deal with the same
66 > company and it works right from your hacienda on the beach. In my
67 > experience, staying connected on the road is really hard. A satellite
68 > system would make it really easy, but somewhat expensive.
69
70 Sure, but satellite reception and bandwidth is not always as good as it
71 sounds. I remember seeing a comparison between different Internet access
72 media and the satellite Internet access did not exactly come on top.
73 Reception was patchy (can't recall where they were trying it out) and at
74 times throughput was no higher than a fixed line dialup connection.
75 Depending where you are you may have to wait for Uncle Sam's sat to fly above
76 before you can hook up.
77
78 Notwithstanding the above your needs do no doubt vary from mine and a
79 satellite may well be the best solution. for you Getting your company to pay
80 for it may be the best option. Trying it out from a retail place, or the
81 next local electronics show could give you a taster under optimum conditions.
82
83 Good luck.
84 --
85 Regards,