From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd - are we forced to switch?
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:39:51
1 On Tue, Jul 23 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Jul 23 2013, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I wouldn't stress about it too much, your choice is do you want to use
7 >>> Gnome3 or not? And then just use whatever Gnome3 gives as *that* part
8 >>> you don't have a choice about.
9 >>
10 >> Very clearly stated. Thanks.
11 >>
12 >> Currently I have gnome-base/gnome-3.6.2 with consolekit and no systemd
13 >>
14 >> Since I wish to continue with Gnome3, I gather that at some point I will
15 >> be reversing the above (consolekit out; systemd in).
16 >>
17 >> I was planning to wait for the devs to publish a conversion guide.
18 >
19 > As I said to András, you have the wiki:
20
21 I looked at the wiki and fear I need a pre-wiki, that is the wiki seems
22 to assume you know a fair amount about systemd, which I don't.
23
24 For example, it seems that instead of /etc/init.d and /etc/runlevels we
25 have services. After running
26 emerge --changed-use --deep @world
27 must I check that every entry previously in /etc/init.d now has an entry
28 in /usr/lib/systemd/system? What do I do if there is no corresponding
29 entry?
30
31 Similarly, the wiki talks about some configuration files
32 (e.g. /etc/hostname replacing /etc/conf.d/hostname). But what about all
33 the other files in /etc/conf.d? Do I just copy them to /etc?
34
35 In summary I would hope that we get an introductory document (a simple
36 conversion guide) as a pre-read before the wiki.
37
38 The problem is not the wiki, but my lack of the prerequisite knowledge.
39 "The fault, dear Brutus, in not in our stars, but in ourselves"
40
41 thanks,
42 allan