From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ldap vs. pam
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:41:26
1 2006/1/13, John Jolet <john@×××××.net>:
4 > On Jan 13, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
5 >
6 > > thanks. I believe I am starting to understand this.
7 > >
8 > > I was seeing that ldap can authenticate in a lot of types, like ,
9 > > databases, files, and PAM do some things like that too.... or am I
10 > > wrong ?
11 > >
12 > as far as I know you are wrong. ldap is an authentication
13 > mechanism. it stores usernames, passwords, and much more.
16 LDAP is *not* an authentication mechanism. LDAP stands for Lightweight
17 Directory Access Protocol, so LDAP is a protocol you use to access data
18 stored in a structured way, called directory. An LDAP directory is a
19 directory that may be accessed using LDAP. An LDAP server is a server that
20 serves its data using LDAP. LDAP servers are used for a lot of things, and
21 two of them may be single sign on or centralized authentication (they are
22 different although related things).
23
24 To access data in a directory you may have to authenticate to access the
25 data. This authentication can be done in several ways, and one of them is
26 called simple bind: in this case you provide a path to locate an object in
27 the directory and a password and the server "compares" the password provided
28 with the password stored in the specified object. IIRC the PAM-LDAP module
29 uses simple bind to authenticate an user trying to gain access to the
30 system. This is, the PAM module takes the provided user and password and
31 tries to authenticate itself against the LDAP server using the simple bind
32 mechanism, translating the user into a path to locate the object
33 representing that user in the directory.
34
35 BIG WARNING: Don't do this unless you're using simple bind over SSL
36 protected connections unless you want your passwords to travel (almost?) as
37 clear text through the network.
38
39 HTH
40 Jose