From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ldap vs. pam
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:12:02
1 On Jan 13, 2006, at 11:45 AM, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2
3 > thanks. I believe I am starting to understand this.
4 >
5 > I was seeing that ldap can authenticate in a lot of types, like ,
6 > databases, files, and PAM do some things like that too.... or am I
7 > wrong ?
8 >
9 as far as I know you are wrong. ldap is an authentication
10 mechanism. it stores usernames, passwords, and much more.
11 hopefully, i'll not screw up this explanation. You sit down to your
12 computer....you see the login prompt. You type username, it asks for
13 a password. you give it one. it (the getty program) then passes
14 those credentials to pam. pam looks in it's list of authentication
15 mechanisms to see in what order you'd like to try to authenticate.
16 say it's ldap, then nis, then shadow. so it does a query to ldap
17 using your username as a key to retrieve your encrypted password. it
18 then compares what returns (assuming you are in the ldap db) with the
19 encrypted form of what you typed. If it matches, pam checks to see
20 if that's simply a required authentication, or a sufficient
21 authentication. it is possible with pan to require more than one
22 test be passed before saying okay. if more tests are required, or
23 you don't pass that test, pam goes down it's list of other methods.
24 typically, for instance, root is only in shadow NOT in ldap. so
25 usually, users are allowed to fail the ldap (or nis) and be checked
26 against shadow. usually, though, shadow is the authentication method
27 of last resort. so pam is a framework into which multiple
28 authentication methods can snap.