From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:51:28
1 On 3/29/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 3/29/06, michael@×××××××××××××.com <michael@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > How soon do you think we'll see laptops with the Dual Core Turion64?
4 >
5 > Summer. Got to have them out in time for back-to-school purchasing, right?
8 > > Elsewhere (perhaps on this list on a different topic) someone
9 > > recommended not buying anything except for 64 bits (either AMD or Intel)
10 > > from now on. Do you agree, in particular regarding laptops?
11 >
12 > No, but others are going to disagree with me!
13 >
14 > Nobody is currently producing laptops that can have over 4G of memory
15 > (in fact, 2G is the max today in a laptop). And for my AMD desktop at
16
17 www.alienware.com I beg to differ. I could have sworn I saw a laptop
18 with more than 2G... where was it... wow! You appear to be right!
19 Darn.. I could have SWORN I saw something with > 2G...
20
21 > home, I don't see much difference between 64 and 32-bit programs. The
22 > programs I am most interested in running fast are compression,
23 > encryption, media encoding, and the like...standard desktop type uses.
24
25 There is a big difference. You most likely aren't running with
26 software compiled for 64-bit, or software that wasn't designed to take
27 advantage of 64-bit, rather targeting 32-bit and just praying the
28 compiler helps with the 64-bit part. It gets a bit technical, but
29 there is a big difference between something made from the ground up as
30 64-bit versus something that was made 32-bit and just recompiled
31 64-bit.
32
33 > Some things are slightly faster in 32-bit, some things are slightly
34 > faster in 64-bit, but neither mode seems to have a definitive
35 > advantage.
36
37 Yes, with the unfairness of the compiler, that is true. It's a lot
38 like if you had a car that could go 200MPH. Your driver may only hit
39 80MPH (the 32-bit code on a 64-bit chip), but then you get a driver
40 trained for 200MPH driving, and then he actually hits 200MPH (the
41 64-bit code).
42
43 It's like the good data in good data out / bad data in bad data out theory.
44
45 > So unless and until you require more memory or specific applications,
46 > I don't think you need to worry about 64-bit.
47
48 Well, I think we must include bragging rights into our deliberation.
49 That's a major part of it, too. Even though some people may never use
50 more than a whole MHz of their PC, they still like to brag ; )
51
52 PS: I'm not one of them. If there were a law against computer abuse,
53 I'd be locked up for life - It pains me to see a CPU idling.
54
55 > -Richard
56 >
57 > --
58 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
65 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
66 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
67 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
68 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
69 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list