From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Core Duo Processor - Anyone?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:39:17
1 On 3/29/06, michael@×××××××××××××.com <michael@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > How soon do you think we'll see laptops with the Dual Core Turion64?
3
4 Summer. Got to have them out in time for back-to-school purchasing, right?
7 > Elsewhere (perhaps on this list on a different topic) someone
8 > recommended not buying anything except for 64 bits (either AMD or Intel)
9 > from now on. Do you agree, in particular regarding laptops?
10
11 No, but others are going to disagree with me!
12
13 Nobody is currently producing laptops that can have over 4G of memory
14 (in fact, 2G is the max today in a laptop). And for my AMD desktop at
15 home, I don't see much difference between 64 and 32-bit programs. The
16 programs I am most interested in running fast are compression,
17 encryption, media encoding, and the like...standard desktop type uses.
18 Some things are slightly faster in 32-bit, some things are slightly
19 faster in 64-bit, but neither mode seems to have a definitive
20 advantage.
21
22 So unless and until you require more memory or specific applications,
23 I don't think you need to worry about 64-bit.
24
25 -Richard
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list