From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smplayer adjusting PCM level in Kmix.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 18:30:44
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 27 June 2021 10:54:46 BST John Covici wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:52:51 -0400,
4 >>
5 >> Dale wrote:
6 >>> Howdy,
7 >>>
8 >>> I've had this problem for a really long time. I've tried adjusting
9 >>> settings in Smplayer to stop it but so far, I have not found the magic
10 >>> combination or option to change. I don't have pulseaudio here. Just
11 >>> Alsa and friends.
12 >>>
13 >>> As some know, I use Smplayer to watch TV with. I use the old dying
14 >>> Gnome-player to watch other videos on my computer screen and sound
15 >>> through computer speakers. I tend to watch fix it videos etc with
16 >>> Gnome-player. Anyway, one thing that Smplayer does that annoys me is
17 >>> each time it starts a new video, from either a fresh start or next video
18 >>> in the playlist, it adjusts the PCM sound level in Kmix. Usually it
19 >>> adjusts it down to almost mute. I've seen it adjust down to 6 and even
20 >>> 2. Either way, no sound. I've tried every setting in Smplayer and the
21 >>> audio section I can find and no matter what, it adjusts the PCM sound
22 >>> level in Kmix every single time. It's annoying as heck. I think I've
23 >>> looked in every config file that deals with sound. I've removed or
24 >>> commented out a lot of volume settings with no change.
25 >>>
26 >>> Does anyone know if there is a way to tell it to knock it off? It's
27 >>> getting so annoying, I'm thinking about abandoning Smplayer. So far, I
28 >>> haven't seen any other player do this. That's why I think it is a
29 >>> Smplayer setting somewhere. By the way, Smplayer is set to not change
30 >>> volume with Kmix or anything else. I adjust the volume on the TV
31 >>> itself, with a remote. One woould think that it bypassing sound control
32 >>> devices that it would also leave Kmix alone, since it shouldn't even be
33 >>> going through it anyway.
34 >>>
35 >>> Ideas?
36 >> Does the same happen with mpv? I never use mplayer anymore.
37 > Also, does setting the volume with SMplayer itself at a certain level, rather
38 > than Kmix, make it stick?
41 This is weird.  The way Smplayer is set, the volume thingy doesn't do
42 anything.  Basically, it goes from video directly to the TV.  That said,
43 I went and set it to like half way and I've been playing videos all
44 night and some today, other than when I was on a roof painting.  So far,
45 the volume has stuck to what it is set to in Smplayer, even tho the
46 volume thingy is disabled.  I'm confused.  Why is something that is
47 disabled in Smplayer changing Kmix???  It works so I'm not complaining. :-D
48
49 I took pics of my freshly painted roof, shop not house. Now my phone
50 won't pop up in the notifier 'do dad' when I plug it up.  I can't mount
51 it or even get it to see it even tho I allow it to connect on the phone
52 screen.  It worked a few weeks ago.  May have to get my hammer.  ROFL
53
54 Thanks for the idea.  I would never have thought to try that.  It has
55 been annoying me for months maybe even a year.
56
57 Dale
58