From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smplayer adjusting PCM level in Kmix.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:42:05
1 On Sunday, 27 June 2021 10:54:46 BST John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:52:51 -0400,
3 >
4 > Dale wrote:
5 > > Howdy,
6 > >
7 > > I've had this problem for a really long time. I've tried adjusting
8 > > settings in Smplayer to stop it but so far, I have not found the magic
9 > > combination or option to change. I don't have pulseaudio here. Just
10 > > Alsa and friends.
11 > >
12 > > As some know, I use Smplayer to watch TV with. I use the old dying
13 > > Gnome-player to watch other videos on my computer screen and sound
14 > > through computer speakers. I tend to watch fix it videos etc with
15 > > Gnome-player. Anyway, one thing that Smplayer does that annoys me is
16 > > each time it starts a new video, from either a fresh start or next video
17 > > in the playlist, it adjusts the PCM sound level in Kmix. Usually it
18 > > adjusts it down to almost mute. I've seen it adjust down to 6 and even
19 > > 2. Either way, no sound. I've tried every setting in Smplayer and the
20 > > audio section I can find and no matter what, it adjusts the PCM sound
21 > > level in Kmix every single time. It's annoying as heck. I think I've
22 > > looked in every config file that deals with sound. I've removed or
23 > > commented out a lot of volume settings with no change.
24 > >
25 > > Does anyone know if there is a way to tell it to knock it off? It's
26 > > getting so annoying, I'm thinking about abandoning Smplayer. So far, I
27 > > haven't seen any other player do this. That's why I think it is a
28 > > Smplayer setting somewhere. By the way, Smplayer is set to not change
29 > > volume with Kmix or anything else. I adjust the volume on the TV
30 > > itself, with a remote. One woould think that it bypassing sound control
31 > > devices that it would also leave Kmix alone, since it shouldn't even be
32 > > going through it anyway.
33 > >
34 > > Ideas?
35 >
36 > Does the same happen with mpv? I never use mplayer anymore.
37
38 Also, does setting the volume with SMplayer itself at a certain level, rather
39 than Kmix, make it stick?