From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smplayer adjusting PCM level in Kmix.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 09:55:05
1 On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:52:51 -0400,
2 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > Howdy,
5 >
6 > I've had this problem for a really long time.  I've tried adjusting
7 > settings in Smplayer to stop it but so far, I have not found the magic
8 > combination or option to change.  I don't have pulseaudio here.  Just
9 > Alsa and friends.
10 >
11 > As some know, I use Smplayer to watch TV with.  I use the old dying
12 > Gnome-player to watch other videos on my computer screen and sound
13 > through computer speakers.  I tend to watch fix it videos etc with
14 > Gnome-player.  Anyway, one thing that Smplayer does that annoys me is
15 > each time it starts a new video, from either a fresh start or next video
16 > in the playlist, it adjusts the PCM sound level in Kmix. Usually it
17 > adjusts it down to almost mute.  I've seen it adjust down to 6 and even
18 > 2.  Either way, no sound.  I've tried every setting in Smplayer and the
19 > audio section I can find and no matter what, it adjusts the PCM sound
20 > level in Kmix every single time.  It's annoying as heck.  I think I've
21 > looked in every config file that deals with sound.  I've removed or
22 > commented out a lot of volume settings with no change.
23 >
24 > Does anyone know if there is a way to tell it to knock it off?  It's
25 > getting so annoying, I'm thinking about abandoning Smplayer.  So far, I
26 > haven't seen any other player do this.  That's why I think it is a
27 > Smplayer setting somewhere.  By the way, Smplayer is set to not change
28 > volume with Kmix or anything else.  I adjust the volume on the TV
29 > itself, with a remote.  One woould think that it bypassing sound control
30 > devices that it would also leave Kmix alone, since it shouldn't even be
31 > going through it anyway.
32 >
33 > Ideas?
34 Does the same happen with mpv? I never use mplayer anymore.
37 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
38 How do
39 you spend it?
40
41 John Covici wb2una