From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thinkorswim stock trading platform
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:03:06
1 On 8/7/06, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
4 > > shared object file: No such file or directory
5 > > hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
6 > > shared object file: No such file or directory
7 >
8 > Binary installs sometimes err on the side of older libc.
9 >
10 > emerge -s compat
11 > * sys-libs/lib-compat
12 > Latest version available: 1.4.1
13 > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
14 > Size of files: 3,093 kB
15 > Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/
17 > programs new and old
18 > License: GPL-2
19 >
20 > You may need some other compat libs as well, but I'd see how far
21 > lib-compat gets you before going crazy with installing other packages.
22 >
23 > Mark, you're in the Bay Area aren't you? Going to be a Linux World next
24 > week? I work about five blocks away and it would be cool to put some
25 > faces to names and get a beer or two.
26 >
27 > kashani
28
29 Kashani,
30 I had no plans for Linux World. Never been to one. That said it
31 sounds like fun. Let's try to work something up off list. I'm down in
32 Los Gatos. If other Gentoo users are nearby maybe they can drop one of
33 us a note off list and we can make it a small party. Sounds like fun.
34
35 OK, I emerged lib-compat but it didn't change the results:
36
37 dragonfly ~ # eix -Ic lib-compat
38 [I] sys-libs/lib-compat (1.4.1): Compatibility C++ and libc5 and libc6
39 libraries for programs new and old
40
41 Found 1 matches
42 dragonfly ~ #
43
44 After running updatedb slocate finds the library:
45
46 dragonfly ~ # slocate libc.so
47 /lib/libc.so.6
48 /usr/lib/libc.so
49 /usr/lib/libc.so.5
52 mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $ sh ./thinkorswim_installer.bin
53 Preparing to install...
54 Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
55 Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
56 awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
57 shared object file: No such file or directory
58 dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
59 shared obj ect file: No such file or directory
60 /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open
61 shared ob ject file: No such file or directory
62 <SNIP>
63
64 Same sort of problem for libdl.so.2:
65
66 mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $ slocate libdl.so
67 /lib/libdl.so.2
68 /usr/lib/libdl.so
69 mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $
70
71 and again for librt.so.1:
72
73 mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $ slocate librt.so
74 /lib/librt.so.1
75 /usr/lib/librt.so
76 mark@dragonfly ~/Desktop $
77
78 So is this some sort of path problem? The installer expects the
79 library to be in a certain location? Maybe a symlink from there to
80 /lib/libc.so.6?
81
82 Thanks for getting me closer, and I'll check out Linux World for dates
83 to see when I could make it.
84
85 Cheers,
86 Mark