From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with installation kde-meta, gnome
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:32:23
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Saturday 20 of February 2010 03:56:32 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
5 >> If I understand you correctly, then you only set useflags when you invoke
6 >> emerge? As in "USE="foo" emerge foobar". Is this how you're doing it or am
7 >> I just misunderstanding?
8 >>
9 > Yes and no.
10 >
11 > Yes, because I add a given flag to USE in /etc/make.conf. If emerge want it,
12 > when I do the following command:
13 > # emerge kde-meta
14 >
15 > After this command, emerge tell me that I must to use e.g. X, so I add a
16 > given flag to USE="X jpeg png -debug" etc. to file /etc/make.conf.
17 >
18 > No, because I put it to /etc/make.conf, not as you show all in one line:
19 > # USE="X jpeg png -debug" emerge kde-meta
20 > I do not do as above line.
23 >> If it is how you're doing it, then I would suggest
24 >> that you start using your /etc/portage/package.use file instead (it doesn't
25 >> exist by default, you have to make the directory and the file) and add the
26 >> use flags you want for the package you're about to install. This way it'll
27 >> be a permanent useflag that isn't overwritten next time that specific
28 >> package needs an update.
29 >>
30 > Thank you for this hint :-)
33 >> Zeerak
34 >>
35 > Andrzej
39 Something that may help in the future, when you change the USE line in
40 make.conf, you may want to add the -N option to your next emerge. That
41 tells portage to evaluate what, if anything, needs to be recompiled with
42 the new USE flags. Depending on the version of portage you are using,
43 this could cause future builds to fail because of missing parts of other
44 packages.
45
46 For me, when I sync and do my updates, I run emerge -uvDNa world. It
47 will at times compile a few extra packages but it does make for a more
48 sane system. It's almost as good as running emerge -e world.
49
50 Just a thought.
51
52 Dale